A Kilmuckridge landmark celebrates two centuries
Published 04/12/2012 | 10:47
THE EVIDENCE is over the door. The sign states that the pub, now known as Boggan's in Kilmuckridge, has been operating since 1812, and recently, the patrons and staff at the pub celebrated 200 years of trading in the village.
The Reeling Back the Years weekend featured old video footage of the pub from the 1980s and 1948, as well as photographs and a reading of the history of the pub.
Current owners Seán and Caitríona Doyle were joined by former owners Mary Boggan and Pierce Colbert for the look back, and former members of staff from over the years were also present alongside today's customers.
The premises was in Mary's family for generations, and was also formerly a shop. The premises was known as Doran's before Mary's grandfather bought it.
A celebration was also held on another night, and party hats and balloons and music ensured the old venue was given a proper 200th birthday party.