Monday 20 February 2017

Surprise cup win just the tonic for in-form Skerries

Published 06/11/2012 | 10:09

A SHANE Coleman goal in the 77th minute was the deciding factor in this Gilligan Cup tie on Sunday as Skerries Town stunned last season's Division 1B champions.

  • Go To
Town were on the wrong end of two resounding defeats by the visitors last season, so this was a test of how far this young team had progressed in the last six months. Without the flu-stricken Ryan Beggs, Ryan O'Driscoll was introduced at centre-half and gave an impressive performance for the 90 minutes in wet, miserable conditions. The opening minutes didn't look promising, as in Tymon's first attack a harmless looking ball was played up to their striker and his knock-down was pounced on by his on-rushing partner whose shot went in off the upright after just two minutes. To the home side's credit, they worked themselves back into the game and as the half progressed, it was Skerries who were the dominant force. With half-time approaching, it looked as if Tymon would hold on, but they then conceded a free kick in the 45th minute. From the resulting Aidan Bolger delivery, Stephen Hogan's looping header deceived the away keeper and send both teams to the break level. The second half continued in the same vein, with Skerries dominating possession and territory and Tymon becoming increasingly frustrated as they failed to make any impression on the home defence. As the game entered its final stages, it looked as if the tie would go to extra time, but with 13 minutes remaining a throughball tempted the visiting keeper to advance and striker Mark Doyle, who was prominent throughout, got there first. Facing a narrow angle, he looked up before crossing for Coleman to apply the decisive finish to put the home side in front. Tymon threw men forward in response, but their efforts were dealt with and as the final whistle blew Skerries were in control and indeed unfortunate not to add a third goal.

Read More

Promoted articles