Sunday 25 June 2017

Gutsy Glebe put to Sword

Swords Celtic's Daniel Cibotar (right) and Glebe North's Luke Houlihan contest a header. FintanClarke
Swords Celtic's Daniel Cibotar (right) and Glebe North's Luke Houlihan contest a header. FintanClarke


SWORDS Celtic turned on the style at Balheary on Saturday against a gallant Glebe North side.

The Balbriggan outfit never gave up, but Paul Cibotar's Swords team always held the upper hand going forward as they served up a terrific brand of football. With Felix Santos their anchorman in defence, Celtic were well set up to cope with what was a very talented Glebe North team under Barry Fanning. Indeed had it not been for one superb save by Swords Celtic keeper, Jack Dolan, early in the first half the outcome might have been different. Celtic got off to a terrific start when Jake Pope connected with Nikita Supruna's cross from the right to give the Glebe keeper no chance. And with Celtic left full, Joshua McCabe, linking up superbly with the midfield, Celtic continued to press and almost doubled their advantage moments later.

Jack Hannon who put in a great shift down the right played a ball into Cian Warren who cut inside and shot just wide of the target. However, Glebe grew into the game after that with Lee Connolly turning in a very influential display at full back. And on 10 minutes Glebe almost claimed a dramatic equaliser when Darren Fanning unleashed a terrific shot from the right hand side of the box. However Dolan was alert to the challenge as he spread himself full length to push Fanning's pile driver away to safety. Swords were soon back on top and although Warren got in behind the defence, he was unable to keep his effort down. However Celtic were soon to open a three goal advantage just before the break. First Joshua McCabe drove home a terrific free kick from inside a congested penalty area and shortly afterwards, Fairis Haidar scrambled the ball over the line.

However, Glebe began the second half in very positive fashion with Santos enjoying a good tussle with Conor Purdue. And with Jack Brady pressing well down the flanks, the visitors continued to make good progress with Pope on hand to make a good interception with Sean Vickers about to strike. Having weathered the storm, Celtic got back on top again and Suprun saw an ambitious effort come back off the crossbar. Attacking collectively as a team, Celtic eventually added a fourth when Hannon stroked the ball past the keeper. Glebe keeper, Jack Coffey was then very quick off his line to deny an advancing Swords player and the visiting side were offered further hope when Liam Kirwin drove home a penalty with ten minutes to go. However Celtic restored their four goal advantage when Suprun delivered a fine shot into the bottom corner. Kirwan went close for Glebe shortly afterwards, before Suprun showed terrific technique to find the back of the net with a downward header off McCabe's corner. Cibotar rounded off the scoring.

Promoted articles