Tuesday 25 April 2017

Inquest held into death of Ferguson

THE inquest into the death of the late Trevor Ferguson took place last week in the Isle of Man, and it found that he died as a result of misadventure in a crash at the Manx Grand Prix back in August.

The 47-year-old father of three from Castlecaulfield suffered 'massive internal injuries' after colliding with a bank during the tragic accident, which occurred at The Nook section of the Mountain Course. Mr Ferguson, an uncle of road racing star Ryan Farquhar, was competing in the Supertwin event on Farquhar's own KMR Kawasaki 650 machine when the crash happened on the second lap in dry and sunny conditions. The experienced County Tyrone man was holding second position at the time behind his KMR Kawasaki teammate Nigel Moore, who went on to win the ill-fated race for Farquhar's team. Farquhar later announced his retirement from road racing as a result of his uncle's untimely death. At Douglas courthouse on the Isle of Man, it was confirmed there was no mechanical issue with the Kawasaki machine Mr Ferguson was riding when the crash occurred in Wednesday's race. Earlier in the day Ryan Farquhar had scored a great win in the 500 Senior Classic race. A statement from David Park, a spectator at the scene, said: 'He appeared to be in complete control but then started drifting with the bike. Everything went into slow motion for me as I watched him slide and hit the bank. 'There was a loud thump and he was thrown with the bike straight up into the air and came down hard. He wasn't moving.' An assessment of the Kawasaki ER6 machine he was riding carried out by Barry Stephenson of the Manx government's vehicle testing unit found that there were no 'mechanical defects' and that the bike was 'fully fit for racing prior to the collision'. The inquest also heard statements from two brothers who were acting as marshals. One of them, Shaun Brennan, said: 'The bike low-sided and he hit the bank hard and was airborne.' His brother Anthony said: 'I called the paramedics and air ambulance immediately and yellow-flagged the race. They were there within minutes and did everything they could to help.' The six-time Irish national road race winner was pronounced dead at the scene despite the best efforts of paramedics to revive him. The Coroner of Inquests, John Needham, recorded a verdict of misadventure and offered his condolences to Mr Ferguson's widow Doris and family, saying: 'He loved the event and he loved racing. 'His death is a tragic loss to the sport and I send my condolences to his family.'

Promoted articles