Aer Lingus strike set to go ahead
STRIKE ACTION at Dublin Airport involving Aer Lingus workers looks set to go ahead next Monday after SIPTU refused to withdraw their notice of industrial action.
It had been hoped earlier in the week that the two-hour stoppage by Aer Lingus workers next Monday may be averted but those hopes were dashed yesterday (Monday). SIPTU organiser Dermot O'Loughlin said that following a constructive and robust meeting, shop stewards were not in a position to withdraw the notice of industrial action. He said the big issue was Aer Lingus' demand that any contributions to plug the deficit in the pension scheme must be offset by productivity from staff.
In a statement, Aer Lingus said it is regrettable that SIPTU has taken the decision ' to use Aer Lingus customers as leverage in a dispute'. Aer Lingus said it is in the process of activating its disruptions plan and it will do everything possible to minimise disruption to customers' travel plans on November 19.
The row over the €750 million pension deficit at Aer Lingus and the Dublin Airport Authority has been ongoing for months and looks set to come to a head with this two-hour stoppage next week. However, only Aer Lingus staff will be involved in the industrial action and Dublin Airport Authority staff will not be taking part in the November 19 strike.