Portrane tower heads for 160th birthday
Published 12/09/2003 | 00:11
MANY new residents in the Portrane area might be surprised to learn that the superb 100ft round tower in the area is not what it might appear.And next year will see the 160th anniversary of the towers erection much later than would be expected for the average Irish round tower.Indeed, the tower, situated in the grounds of St Itas Hospital, is a very succes
MANY new residents in the Portrane area might be surprised to learn that the superb 100ft round tower in the area is not what it might appear.
And next year will see the 160th anniversary of the tower’s erection – much later than would be expected for the average Irish round tower.
Indeed, the tower, situated in the grounds of St Ita’s Hospital, is a very successful 19th century imitation and was built as a memorial to George Evans, the local MP, who was the last family member to live in Portrane House.
Many of the towers in the Fingal region can date back to the Vikings with the likes of Lusk and St Colmba’s tower in Swords regarded as two of the finest in the country.
Although the Portrane tower looks good, there are some tell tale signs.
The base circumference of over 17m and the proporations are correct but the cap is not and the arched doorway and windows are regarded as being much too large.
The tower was erected in 1844 by Sophie Evans in memory of her husband and it once included a bust of George Evans but that was later taken to Oxford University. She was a relation of Charles Stewart Parnell
George Evans was M.P. for Dublin County from 1832–41.
Both George Evans and his wife Sophie are buried in Portrane. She had died in France and was brought home to be buried beside her husband.
Today the tower remains a striking token of one Fingal woman’s love for her husband.