Monday 24 July 2017



Catherine Murphy was crowned Leinster ladies' Masters cross-country champion after a splendid performance in Avondale, Co. Wicklow. This golden moment eclipsed last year's third position for Catherine.

Slaney's men performed well in the Leinster Novice with great performances from the three newcomers: Brian Keane (32nd), James Delaney (54th), and Owen Keane (57th).

The men's Leinster Masters also had fantastic performances from Kevin Murphy (13th), who also came second in the Over45 age category, and Jason O'Connor (20th). Also performing well was John O'Connor (86th) in a very high-quality lineup.

Well done to all club members who ran in the Dublin marathon on Bank holiday Monday: Mick Morrissey, 3.07.40; Bobby Redmond, 3.08.29; Paul Browne, 3.08.30; Fergus Murphy, 3.13.22; Maurice Whitty, 3.13; Pudgie, 3.14; Rory McCauley, 3.15.31; John Foley, 3.16.15; Brian Maher, 3.21; Seamus Jordan, 3.48; Martina O'Sullivan, 3.49; Sabina Sweeney, 3.58.08; Michelle Doyle, 4.13.21; Marie Chapman, 4.13.23; Mag Dunphy, 4.20.19.

The presentations of the John Corrigan memorial trophy to Mick Morrissey and the Mrs. Theresa Cash trophy to Martina O'Sullivan for their performances in the Dublin marathon were made on Tuesday last in Donohoe's for being first local athletes in the male and female categories.

Congratulations to John Murphy who ran in the Lodz half-marathon in Poland recently. Despite the heavy snow he managed a respectable one hour, 47 minutes.

Congratulations to the Porters who took part in the Westport adventure race.

The club's winter training programme continues under lights at Bellefield every Tuesday and Thursday at 6.30 p.m. For those who wish to go on a longer run, they take place on Sundays at 8.30 a.m. from Abbey Square.

The club's A.G.M. will be held on Friday, November 23, in The Bailey at 8 p.m. Nominations and motions must be with the Secretary, Graham Porter (0872286166), by Friday, November 9.


Enniscorthy Panthers need YOU! Following the overwhelming success of Enniscorthy's rugby teams in recent years, Enniscorthy Panthers have also experienced two hugely-successful years since being set up in 2010.

The ladies' team has gone from strength to strength each year, this being reflected in their climb from Division 4 to Division 2. 2011 was a great year for the team which won the Leinster blitz in September and reached the league semi-final where they were very narrowly beaten by eventual winners, Carlow Coyotes.

The last two seasons' success has spilled into this year with the girls once again reaching the final of the Leinster blitz in September to face a massive Railway Union squad. Despite having no substitutes, three girls making their debuts and playing four games back-to-back, the Panthers put up an intense battle but Railway Union eventually ran out victorious.

A combination of the Panthers' success and the constantly-increasing popularity in ladies' rugby saw the exciting new development of a Junior girls' team in Enniscorthy. Once again this is creating history for the club in its centenary year with girls from ages 14-18 learning the code.

Training is a superb way to keep fit during the winter months and a great way to meet new people and make new friends. The two teams are helping ladies' rugby continue to prosper whilst carving out a legacy and inspiring younger players filtering through to continue or take up the brilliant sport.

We urge anyone who thinks they may be interested in playing, to come and give this terrific sport a go. Newcomers and experienced players alike, both Junior and Senior, would be welcomed with open arms to the pack.

Help these up-and-coming teams create even more history and become part of a fun, friendly and enthusiastic team of players. Training continues at 7 p.m. on Fridays for Juniors and at 7.30 p.m. on Fridays for Seniors. For more information please contact Dave Ryan (087-6277099) or visit our Facebook page, 'Enniscorthy Panthers'.


Enniscorthy's thirds team travelled away to Athy for this Leinster League encounter and made it four wins out of four. Athy drew first blood with a try after ten minutes but Enniscorthy responded with strong carries by Paul Byrne and Hughie O'Neill and good inter-change between backs and forwards.

It was one of these passages that led to Eugene Kehoe touching down in the corner after captain John Daly and Oisín Dunbar made great yards. Peter Murphy added the conversion and an earlier penalty.

Enniscorthy continued to dominate with a strong line-out display from Stuart Murphy and Ronan 'Spud' McCarthy. Johnno Hughes got over just before half-time, after sustained pressure from the forwards.

The second-half performance saw the visitors commit far too many fouls and indiscipline killed good possession time and again which allowed Athy back into the game. Hughie O'Neill was the saviour with a try-saving tackle in the corner, followed later by a great solo try to make it a 22-5 win.

Team: Eugene O'Connor, Ronan McCarthy, Jason Sheridan, Johnno Hughes, Malcolm Rothwell, Stuart Murphy, Tim Morrissey, John Daly (capt.), Jerome Cax, Peter Murphy, Eddie Warren, Paul Byrne, Hughie O'Neill, Eugene Kehoe, Oisín Dunbar (replacement, Tom Quigley).

Enniscorthy Under-19s produced a Jekyll and Hyde performance in this tricky away Leinster League fixture. In the firsthalf they produced delightful rugby with their pack leader, Murt Kehoe, leading by example, ably supported by joint player of the match Brian Bolger, Alex Pim and Jack Flood, to produce good go forward ball for half-backs Neil McCrea and Rob Frayne.

As a result, outside backs Liam Ryan, Dylan Walsh and Conor Farrell were able to manufacture opportunities for Danny Dreelan to cross early, with another two chances finished off by joint man of the match Martin Steemers. The additional points were added by Frayne's boot to turn over 22-0 in front.

At this stage the set-pieces were solid, with Daniel Owen and Ciarán Bolger securing the line-outs and Mike Morrissey and Leon Power dominating the scrums. After the interval everything changed utterly, with a combination of the visitors' complacency and the home side's hunger.

Suddenly Athy were winning the collisions. Their scrum was dominant, taking three against the head, line-out ball was messy and tackling was practically nonexistent which eventually led to an Athy touchdown to be soon followed by a second one to leave the score 24-12 with ten minutes remaining.

Then to compound matters Flood got a yellow card to spend the remainder of the match in the bin, with Steemers being unlucky to lose the ball over the Athy line in one of their few second-half attacks.

At this stage Enniscorthy introduced Seán Murphy and Dylan Furlong and were about to introduce Pat Kehoe and Ian Butler, but at this juncture Athy were clearly in the ascendancy and swept in for another two tries, with their kicker sealing victory with the final conversion.

Obtaining a losing bonus point was a poor return in the circumstances and the match reflected badly on the character of the team, with poor decision-making in closing out the game being compounded by some woeful attempts at tackles by the majority of the players on view, with just a few notable exceptions who fought hard to the end.

The players involved need to examine their motivation and dedication with a huge derby Leinster League home game against Gorey on Saturday next, with the selectors also needing to examine various options to improve performance over the full game.

Enniscorthy Under-15s played Tullow in the South-East league at home recently. It was a bright, fresh, dry morning with perfect conditions for running rugby.

The home team certainly lived up to this in the early exchanges with several very good running moves putting it up to a strong and physical Tullow team, but unfortunately the last pass would not go to hand. Despite great running and handling from several players including Evan and Mike Kelly, Peter O'Connor, Finn Condon and David Doyle, the team came away with nothing.

Tullow then began to come more into the game and in what was to become a recurring problem, some weak tackling allowed the visitors to take the lead which was a bit against the run of play.

For the next while the visitors were clearly on top and their imposing number 8 was given too much time and space which led to his team adding on another two scores in spite of some good individual tackles made by Gavin Watchorn, Adam Daly, Josh Martin and Andrew Redmond, leaving the home team with a mountain to climb.

Enniscorthy took the game to their older and bigger opponents and fantastic running and support play from Mike Kelly, Tom White, Seán Kenny, Darragh Gethings, Donal Harrington and Alex Horan led to super tries being scored by Gavin Watchorn, Sebastian Pim and Watchorn again, two of which were converted by great kicks from Adam Daly.

At this stage the home team were in front and playing really well, with substitutes Luke Sweeney, Tony Murphy, Daithí Medcalf and Lee Martin being thrown into the fray to try to seal the win. However, Tullow weren't about to lie down and came storming back and produced some very good moves which, allied to a tiring home side starting to fall off tackles again, allowed the visitors to pick up some soft scores.

They ran out winners on a scoreline of 41-24, in spite of one more try from Gavin Watchorn. A greater emphasis on fitness and improved tackling along with some returnees from injuries and G.A.A. finals should ensure a better return from future matches.

The Under-15 Hawks played Arklow at home in their Leinster League fixture and, only four minutes into their match, Arklow's number 8 Chris Winters went over awkardly on his leg. All players that were close to him knew he had suffered a serious injury. The response from the medics was very fast and he was ferried by ambulance to Wexford hospital with fractures to his right leg. All at Enniscorthy R.F.C. wish him a speedy recovery.

The game was stopped for 40 minutes before the resumption of play. Arklow were really up for the game and took the challenge to Enniscorthy from early on, and they were rewarded after five minutes with a try and then another shortly after, with one converted to leave the score 12 to nil and Enniscorthy with it all to do.

They bounced back with tries from Tom White and Billy Wickham and went try for try until the last few minutes with tries from Declan Geraghty (two) and Daithí Medcalf. Arklow came back to within a point and then Evan Kelly sealed the winner with two minutes to go, leaving the scoreline 32-26. There were some really good displays by the team members and everyboby hopes the win will lift the boys for future battles ahead.

Panel: M. Kelly, P. Carley, R. Cunnea, B. Wickham, T. Fitzhenry, T. White, B. Doyle, A. Redmond, L. Martin, D. Mulligan, J.P. Farrell, C. Mackey, D. Geraghty, D. Medcalf, A. Horan, J. Roban, W. Durnam, R. Murphy, C. Butler, C. Breen, L. Doyle, H. McCafferty, E. Kelly.

Enniscorthy Under-13s had a long trip to Birr on Saturday for their first game in the Leinster League. Under the stewardship of Colin Cahill, the trip to Co. Offaly was worthwhile with Scorthy coming out victorious 59-7.

It was a great performance from all 19 players with starring roles from Danny Ryan and Fiachra Hourihan. Next week the Under-13s travel to Athy.

Fixtures (Saturday, November 17): Under-19 v. Gorey, Leinster League at Ross Road, 4 p.m., after Senior match; Under-17 v. Carlow, Leinster League at Ross Road, back pitch, 10.30 a.m.; Under15 v. Athy, Leinster League at Ross Road, back pitch, 11.50 a.m.; Under-15 Hawks v. Roscrea at Roscrea, time TBC; Under-13 Leinster League v. Athy at Athy, time TBC.

S. B. R. A. C.

Congratulations to all the club's athletes who competed in last Sunday's Leinster cross-country championships in Dunboyne, Co. Meath. The action featured the Leinster uneven ages Juvenile championships and the Intermediate championships, with the placings of S.B.R. runners being as follows:

Under-11 girls, Ella McShane (121st); Under-11 boys, Joe Byrne (54th); Under13 boys, James Boland (45th); Under-15 boys, Jordan Ryan (80th); Under-17 girls, Lisa Bolger (30th); Intermediate men, Myles Gibbons (18th).

Paul Gibbons won the inaugural Great Railway Run in Cork on Sunday afternoon last, a 10 km. road race that took place from Monkstown to Carrigaline, with the S.B.R. runner covering the distance in 38.22.

S.B.R. club cross-country training takes place each Tuesday and Thursday in Ferns at 7 p.m. Sessions take place under lights and the club always welcomes new members.

Directions to the training field: go past Ferns G.A.A. club, take the left-hand turn for Ballycarney and the entrance to the field is the third gate in to the right. More information from Luke Kehoe on 0873222914 or Sliabh Buidhe Rovers can be found on Facebook.

S.B.R. will hold its annual club handicap race on Sunday, December 2, at 2 p.m. The race is open to club members only and will take place over the four miles course used for the annual Mick Murphy Memorial road race.

Promoted articles