independent

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Rugby club out thousands over Halloween

'BANGER' BLAMED FOR COSTLY BLAZE AT ROSS ROAD SPORTSGROUND

DAVID MEDCALF

Published 06/11/2012 | 19:07

  • Share
The damage caused to the container, which houses a generator for floodlights, at Enniscorthy Rugby Club's grounds.

A BANGER is believed to have caused a Hallowe'en fire at Enniscorthy rugby club which caused thousands of euro worth of damage.

  • Share
  • Go To

Club officials were loud in their praise of the local fire brigade which arrived promptly at the scene after flames were seen in the container housing a power generator. The brigade ensured that 1,000 litres of diesel stored at the scene of the did not ignite and create a major incident.

Nevertheless, the rapid deployment of fire fighters could not prevent extensive damage being caused to the generator, cables, and metal container.

Last Wednesday night was just another training night at the grounds on the Ross Road. Most of the players had left the pitch when a member of the under 19 squad and a neighbour in a nearby house both spotted flames erupting close to the clubhouse and the emergency services were summoned.

It's believed that a firework exploded under the container, leading to a fire so hot that the generator was damaged.

The generator is used to supply power to the floodlighting system at Enniscorthy RFC and now the club's main playing area remains in darkness.

A club official explained that this presents particular problems for the coaches of underage teams, up to five of which would otherwise train on the pitch midweek.

The scene of the suspected arson has been examined by Gardaí.

Read More

GrabOne Deals

News