A YOUNG Marshalstown family was left with almost nothing after their home went up in smoke late on Saturday night while they paid a weekend visit to relatives in Waterford.
David O'Connor and his wife returned to Ballyorril to find a blackened shell where their house had been just a few hours earlier. Neighbours spotted flames and called 999 shortly after 10 p.m. on Saturday evening but the fire had already taken hold by the time the Enniscorthy brigade reached the premises.
The roof had collapsed and practically all of the family's belongings had gone up in smoke.
The O'Connors arrived in time to weep distressed tears over the smoking remains of the building they shared with their four children, one of whom is just four months old.
They were comforted at the scene of devastation by neighbours and the family has since been staying with relatives in the area.