Wednesday 1 October 2014

St Vincent's too steep a 'Hill to climb

Published 27/11/2013 | 05:28

  • Share
Summerhill goalkeeper Tony McDonnell, supporterd by teammate Willie Ryan, moves to save under pressure from Adam Baxter, St Vincent's. Pic: Ray McManus/Sportsfile

DESPITE the absence of intercounty duo Ger Brennan and Diarmuid Connolly, Dublin champions St Vincent's showed they have the potential to repeat their county's All-Ireland success in this Leinster Club SFC semi at Parnell Park on Sunday.

  • Share
  • Go To

They ended Summerhill's quest for provincial honours, with former Dubs star Tomás Quinn stepping up to the mark by scoring 1-8 of his side's tally. The veteran talisman broke Summerhill hearts as he first hauled his side back into contention following a shaky beginning and then kicked them into a winning position before half-time.

Then just when it seemed that the 'Hill might stage a revival and upset the odds, they had the door firmly slammed in their faces as Quinn got the vital scores to put his team out of reach.

The Meath champions made a promising start to proceedings and with Conor Gillespie enjoying the better of the midfield exchanges they led by three points at one stage. Captain Brian Ennis was on the mark with three points from placed balls while David Larkin, Gillespie and Sean Dalton also pointed as the 'Hill built up a 0-6 to 0-3 lead by the 20th minute.

They weren't to score again for the remainder of the half, though, and with Quinn leading the charge St Vincent's enjoyed a 1-7 to 0-6 lead at the break.

That lead stretched to six points within a few minutes of the restart and at that stage the Dublin standard-bearers were cruising to a comfortable victory. However, Summerhill worked their way back into contention, with their revival started by a Sean Dalton point and continued when Paul Rispin fisted an Adrian Kenny centre to the net.

After Gillespie had notched another point, the minimum separated the sides with 20 minutes remaining.

An equalising score would have proved an enormous boost, but following a spell when neither side were able to muster a score, Quinn broke the deadlock to double his sides advantage. That proved a decisive score and Vincent's eased into the final against Portlaoise.

ST VINCENT'S: D Jordan; K Bonnie, J Curley, H Gill; C Diamond, B Egan, M Concarr; D Murphy, E Fennell 0-1; G Burke 0-2, R Trainor 0-2, S Carthy 0-1; A Baxter, C Dorney, T Quinn 1-8, (0-3f, 1'45). Subs: K Golden for Baxter, T Diamond for Dorney, N Mullins for Burke.

SUMMERHILL: T McDonnell; D Dalton, C Young, W Ryan; P Geraghty, A Lyons, S Husband; C Gillespie 0-2, M Byrne 0-1 (f); D Larkin 0-1, B Ennis 0-3 (3f), A Kenny 0-1; P Rispin 1-0, S Dalton 0-2, B Dardis. Subs: R Hatton for Lyons, S Kennedy for Dardis, P Jennings for Geraghty.

Referee: E Kinsella (Laois)

Drogheda Independent

Read More

GrabOne Deals