THE process of banning trucks from Slane's notoriously accident prone bridge, started immediately after Monday's unanimous decision by Meath County Councillors to support the move.
'22 people have died on that bridge, the last one a young boy in 2001,' said Slane's Councillor Anne Dillon Gallagher, who proposed the motion.
The council now has to implement measures to prevent heavy goods vehicles (HGV's) from travelling north south on the N2 through Slane.
'Dublin City Council used bylaws to make HGV use the port tunnel.
'I will be urging Meath council officials to use similar measures to keep HGV's off Slane bridge,' said Cllr Dillon Gallagher.
Transport Minister Noel Dempsey and the National Roads Authority are both supporting the HGV ban in Slane, according to East Meath TD Thomas Byrne.
He says Transport Minister Noel Dempsey confirmed his support at a meeting last week.
Both Deputy Byrne and Cllr Dillon Gallagher are determined the push for a bypass in Slane will continue.
'The HGV ban is a first step.
'The people of Slane won't be fobbed off any longer with standby schemes after 10 years we want a bypass starting date,' said Cllr Dillon Gallagher.
TD Thomas Byrne said in relation to the bypass, Minister Dempsey confirmed to him and election candidate Wayne Harding 'that he will aim to prioritise it for next year.'
Meanwhile Fine Gael's Shane McEntee TD is asking the Oireachtas Committee for Transport to receive a presentation from the Slane Bridge Action Group and 'mothers from the village who were involved in the recent crash'.