independent

Wednesday 18 October 2017

Checkpoints will continue

Port beach has been the scene of car break-ins.
Port beach has been the scene of car break-ins.

Hubert Murphy

Chief Superintendent Sean Ward has said high level garda checkpoints will be continuing in the region in a bid to nab criminals using the roads.

It follows an anti-burglary operation in the district after 39 such raids on homes in two and a half weeks.

'The traffic unit are targeting criminals on the roads,' he told a recent garda policing forum meeting.

'We are targeting organised crime groups and work with the Criminal Assets Bureau on it, targeting specific individuals,' he added.

He said there had been 40 checkpoints in the division and they would continue.

Supt Andrew Watters said that they had developed a co-ordinated plan from information received and targeted routes in and out of Drogheda.

Checkpoints had also been set up in the likes of Termonfeckin and Orchard Villas, after the gardai were told of issues at a public meeting in Drogheda.

They also operated checkpoints in the likes of Baltray and Clogherhead and they had brought the burglary numbers down.

The superintendent also confirmed that five new gardai were coming to Drogheda inside the next few weeks and that would give the force 'extra breathing space' in terms of numbers and operations. It is likely to lead to more patrols and free up an extra patrol car to get into rural areas of the county.

It was also confirmed by gardai that they have a 'few leads' in respect of a series of break ins to cars parked in beauty spots, such as Port beach, Monasterboice and Annagassan. The meeting also heard that there was a 75% drop in burglaries in Ardee compared to 2016, one of the best figures in the country. There were 17 reported in 2017 so far.

Drogheda Independent

News