Win and draw set Newmarket up nicely for President's Cup title bid

Ballinhassig 2
Newmarket 2

Published 21/04/2011 | 10:53

Park B's Simon Maher stretched to gain control of the ball against Rathcoole in their Corinthians Cup quarter-final in Brigown Park last Saturday Credit: PICTURE: ERIC BARRY

As league debutantes Newmarket face into the President's Cup final this Sunday, on Sunday last they travelled to Ballinhassig to face the league leaders and earned a deserved point.

Newmarket witheld heavy pressure until the 40th minute when Ballinhassig scored via Kieran Buttimer after poor defending against a long throw-in.

On the 50th minute Ballinhassig doubled their lead through Peter Desmond despite Newmarket starting the second half brightly.

However, Newmarket weren't going to give up and deservedly pulled one back when Shane Murphy finished well, pouncing on a loose ball in the area.

Newmarket were now creating chances for fun and with ten minutes remaining, after a good passage of play, Timothy Murphy sweetly struck a half volley which deflected off a Ballinhassig defender to the net.

Both sides had chances for a winner but it ended all square. Newmarket 6 Los Zarkos 2 NEWMARKET then hosted Los Zarcos on Tuesday evening and ran out comfortable winners.

Newmarket got off to a perfect start and were quickly one up thanks to a great header from Trevor Murphy after a corner from Brian O'Riordan.

Soon after a second followed thanks to John Ryan hitting to the roof of the net after a cutback from Shane Murphy.

Newmarket were in scintillating form and had a third before half-time, coming once again from a corner from Riordan which was met by the head of Kevin O'Connor who powered the ball into the net.

Los Zarcos, however, did not give up and showed battling qualities to start the second half brightly and score two quick goals to put the game firmly back on. Newmarket were now living dangerously and were lucky not to concede a third with Los Zarcos inches away from a corner.

Newmarket got a foothold back in the game and after some great passing Nicky Flanagan cut a ball back for Alan Dugdale who finished brilliantly to the net for the goal of the game.

Soon after, Newmarket powered on as Riordan squared a ball to Shane Murphy to blast home off the crossbar for the fifth. Newmarket finished the game with a long ball being shot past the keeper by John Ryan to leave the easiest of finishes for substitute John Callaghan to tap the ball into an empty net.

These two games set Newmarket up nicely forthe eagerly awaited President's Cup final against Strand Utd in Turner's Cross on this Sunday at 7pm.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

GrabOne Deals