O'Connor seals last gasp winner for Rathcoole in Millstreet

Published 17/01/2013 | 08:56

A last ditch tackle prevents Park United's Colin Stack from getting his shot in on goal during last Saturday's County Cup game against Castlelack Credit: Photo: Eric Barry

DARRAGH O'Connor got the winner in this game just two minutes from the end of an exciting game of high drama and quality finishing. The result put Rathcoole into second place while Millstreet stay sixth.


Millstreet Celtic 3 Rathcoole Rovers 4

Millstreet started with intent and a high-tempo, but two quick goals on ten minutes had Rathcoole in pole position. Daniel Jones got the first when he reacted quickest to a rebound on a shot from Gerrard O'Connor. Within minutes, Noel O'Riordan chased onto a long ball over the top and he finished neatly past the keeper. Rathcoole then had a number of half-chances that Millstreet managed to clear.

A goal on 30 minutes, however, had the homeside back in the contest.

As Rathcoole waltzed the ball out of defence, Mark Ellis picked up a loose clearance and drove towards goal.

He drew a defender and his exchange with John O'Mahony led to an opportunity that Oisín Murphy finished brilliantly. Millstreet set about building on this goal but they were hit for a third against the run of play just before halftime. 19-year-old Kevin Sheehan headed home on a corner kick with Hugh Sheehan, his father and teammate at centrehalf, also looking to score.

Despite this setback, Millstreet also started the second half at a high tempo and scored twice to tie three-all on 70 minutes. Both goals were very well taken. Mark Ellis got the second with a powerful shot from outside the box. Perennial goalscorer Tadhg Collins got the equaliser when he collected a through ball from Donagh Murphy, rounded the keeper and slotted home.

By then it looked as if Millstreet had all the winning momentum. Tadhg Collins went close to scoring again but Rathcoole caught the homeside on a break which Darragh O'Connor finished with a wonderful goal from a tight angle. That goal came in the 86th minute and Rathcoole held on to the lead until the end.

All told, it was a difficult derby defeat for Millstreet, but they can take consolation from an excellent performance.

They will hope to build on that and win their County Cup second clash away to De Courcey Albion this weekend. Rathcoole, meanwhile, will continue with League 1A action with a game away to seventh-placed Greenmount Rangers.

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

GrabOne Deals