Saturday 25 October 2014

Goals the difference for Newtownshandrum

Published 20/03/2014 | 05:26

Ballygiblin's Dave Moher connects perfectly with the sliotar to send over a point during last Saturday's league game against Buttevant in Ballygiblin. Photo: Eric Barry

Cavanagh's Fermoy Avondhu-Imokilly Div 1 HL

Newtownshandrum 3- 9

Shanballymore 0-12

THE 2013 Hibernian Hotel Premier JHC kingpins Newtownshandrum got their Cavanagh's Fermoy Avondhu-Imokilly Div 1 HL off to a winning start on Saturday evening last when they accounted for Shanballymore at Newtown.

The opening stages saw the winners quick into their stride with Tim O'Mahony and Jamie C Coughlan pointing a free apiece before J.P Moloney was on hand to score the first of their three goals in the sixth minute.

As the half progressed Shanballymore quickly found their feet with Eoin McHugh, Kenneth Barry, Sean Lynch and Brian O'Reilly doing well. Sean Lynch and Jamie Sheedy had a point each while in the 17th minute a good clearance out of the the full backline by Anthony Dennehy eventually led to a well taken point by Jerome Fitzgerald as the lead was reduced to 1-3 to 0-3.

For the rest of this half Shanballymore enjoyed their fair share of possession but they were unable to reflect their authority when striking a number of wides. Instead it was Newtown with a good blend of youth and experience that finished the half in a flurry.

In the 25th minute a Shanballymore clearance was picked up by the hardworking Jamie Reidy who pointed from distance. Further pressure yielded points by Jamie C Coughlan (2) and Michael Maguire while Shanballymore's Jamie Sheedy completed the first half scoring when he pointed a free in injury time as Newtown held a 1-7 to 0-4 half-time lead.

On the changeover any hopes of a Shanballymore second half onslaught were dealt an early blow when William O'Mahony and Jamie Reidy combined well to set up Michael Maguire for a well taken goal.

Shanballymore tried hard to recover from this set back but a third goal by Newtown's David Geary in the 40th minute surged the winners into a 3-7 to 0-6 lead. Shanballymore to their credit refused to yield with Colman O'Reilly (2) and Michael O'Donovan having points by the end of the third quarter 3-8 to 0-9.

However, they never really threatened for a goal to get back into contention with Jamie Sheedy pointing three frees in the last ten points while Newtown also added a point courtesy of substitute Brian Morrissey as it helped get their league season off to a winning start.

NEWTOWNSHANDRUM: P Morrissey, D Browne, S Moran, S Young, E O'Connor, T O'Mahony 0-1f, W O'Mahony, E Coughlan, J Reidy 0-1, D Geary 1-0, G O'Mahony, M Maguire 1-2, J C Coughlan 0-4, C Herlihy, J P Moloney 1-0, Subs K Coughlan for M Maguire, W Coughlan for T O'Mahony, Brian Morrissey 0-1 for J P Moloney

SHANBALLYMORE: S Donegan, J Dennehy, R Burke, A Dennehy, B Sheedy, E McHugh, E O'Regan, K Barry, B O'Reilly 0-1 J Sheedy 0-6 (0-4f) S Lynch 0-1 J Fitzgerald, 0-1 D Roche, M O'Donovan 0-1 N Barry. Subs D Fitzgibbon for S Donegan, C O'Reilly 0-2, for N Barry, A Sheedy for J Dennehy, P Fitzgerald for E O'Regan, E Fitzgerald for M O'Donovan

Referee: Eoin Walsh (Freemount)


Read More

GrabOne Deals