Club 'will take legal route' if regatta cancelled
Published 04/04/2013 | 05:26
A FERMOY Rowing Club spokesman has said they would take legal action against the OPW to recoup any losses if the town's annual regatta is called off this year.
Last week The Corkman revealed that club officials may be forced to scrap this year's regatta, which was scheduled for June 30, amid fears that work on the Fermoy Flood plan on Ashe Quay, close to the clubhouse, would not be completed on time.
The club had initially been given until last Thursday to confirm with Rowing Ireland that they would be holding the regatta on June 30, or face the prospect of having to cancel the event for the first time in 50-years. Club vice-chairman Paul Kavanagh said that Rowing Ireland has now extended that deadline by a further three weeks.
"When we spoke to Rowing Ireland officials last Thursday they were taken aback with the situation. They have given us this extra period of time to secure an assurance from the OPW that the works would be completed in time for the regatta," said Mr Kavanagh.
"If we cannot secure this, then I am afraid that the regatta will have to be cancelled. This could cost us between €20,000 and €30,000. If this happens we are prepared to take the legal route to recoup any losses that may be incurred by the club," he added.
In a statement issued to the Corkman, the OPW conceded that works on Ashe Quay were behind schedule due to "difficult ground conditions".
However, it did say that an OPW official met with rowing club representatives last week to discuss the issue and that an updated programme of works would be available from the contractor this week.
"The programme will provide information on what amount of the quay will be available for the regatta in June. It seems quite clear that all of the works will not be completed at that time, but some part of the quay will be available," read the statement.
"When that information is known it will be up to the rowing club to decide on their regatta," it added.