Controversial €1m Macroom footbridge finally set to open
Published 27/06/2013 | 05:26
MACROOM'S €1m pedestrian bridge is set to open within the next fortnight - nearly six months since the controversial project was finished by contractors
Macroom town councillors previously expressed their concerns following safety audits that showed that pedestrians were at risk due to the dangerous approaches to the bridge, with a lack of a footpath on the east side of the fixture cited as a major issue.
Town Manager Sharon Corcoran told this week's meeting of the council, however, that the National Roads Authority have given the go ahead for works on the approach to the bridge to commence next Monday.
"When we brought the proposal to the NRA, they indicated that we would need Part 8 planning for the works. We went through the timeline and it meant that the process would take a few months before the work could be done and the bridge opened," she explained.
"The NRA has confirmed the works as outlined are smaller than they envisaged and so the Part 8 is not required," she added, confirming that the two week works will start on Monday.
"With that in mind, we will open the bridge as soon as possible, we need to open it straight away once done," Ms Corcoran said.