Tullow become runaway leaders

Published 06/11/2012 | 19:20

Aisling Byrne and Niamh Smith both members of the St Leo's College Senior hockey team were selected onto the South East U-18 hockey team for the U-18 interprovincials which were held last weekend in Dublin. The southeast squad was made up of players...


TULLOW maintained their positions as the leaders in their division of the Leinster League on Sunday with a win over Clondalkin in the Blackgates, Tullow.

The home team put 23 points on the board, with the visitors failing to score.

Tries from Scott Caldbeck and William Hollow O'Brien, paired with William Canavan's great ball striking ensured the home side a comfortable victory.

The majority of the action happened in the first 30 minutes. Canavan's opening two scores came within 10 minutes. The first casualty of the game also came in the first 10 minutes when Darren Dunne was replaced by Tony Bolger.

Scott Caldbeck scored the first of Tullow's tries after 20 minutes. Canavan then converted bringing the Slaneysiders to a lead of 13-0. Canavan's kicking remained on form when he scored another penalty less than five minutes later.

Tullow lost Neil Keane to a yellow card at 35 minutes after an infringement in the ruck.

Awful weather conditions slowed the pace of the game dramatically. However, as the rain flooded the field, it failed to douse the fire that was the fight in Clondalkin.

In the first half they missed three kickable penalties. They got two more penalties, and with a decision to change their tactics, they went for lineouts. However, Tullow still managed to win the balls, with the home side's defense triumphing over the visitors.

Tullow came into the second half 16-0 up, with one change in the front row, Louis Kilcoyne replaced Alan Burns.

The second half was severely affected by the terrible weather conditions. The pace of the game was dramatically hindered.

David Kelly replaced John Hanbidge after 60mins, with John O'Brien replacing Tony Bolger after 63 mins.

An uneventful second half left the visitors trailing behind with no points, despite their best efforts.

William Hollow O'Brien secured the second and final try of the game after 75 minutes. Canavan's conversion brought the Slaneysiders to a score of 23-0 when the final whistle was blown.

The local derby will happen next weekend, when Tullow take on Carlow in Oak Park next Saturday at 2.30pm while the J2s are out on Friday at 7pm.

Tullow: S. Caldbeck, S. Corrigan, A. Burns, N. Keane, J. Hanbidge, J. Roche, R. Porter, W. O'Brien, K. Bloomfield, W. Canavan, M.Tuhaks, E. Dixon, D. Dunne, S. McCarthy, A. Daly (T. Bolger for D. Dunne 5 mins, L. Kilcoyne for A. Burns 40 mins, D. Kelly for J. Hanbidge 60mins, J. O'Brien for T. Bolger 63mins).

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

GrabOne Deals