Refund confusion for disappointed Garth Brooks fans
Published 19/07/2014 | 00:00
IT seems like Garth Brooks fans in Carlow are set to be left extremely disappointed by the news that all five of his Croke Park shows look set to be axed indefinitely.
It seems like Garth Brooks fans in Carlow are set to be left extremely disappointed by the news that all five of his Croke Park shows look set to be axed indefinitely.
Hundreds of Carlow people queued overnight in the cold outside the shops and were up at the break of dawn in a bid to secure tickets for the massive comeback shows, however, now it all looks to be in vain as an agreement seemingly cannot be reached with the promoters, Dublin City Council and the country star.
The five nights first became troubled when it emerged that permission was only granted for three shows. Brooks immediately issued a statement saying that it was 'all of the shows or none at all' and that choosing between the five shows would be like having to choose between his children.
Tense negotiations followed last week with Taoiseach Enda Kenny getting involved and some fans even attempting to get US President Barack Obama involved in the debacle.
Following negotiations on Thursday, Dublin City Council mooted the idea of having three shows at night and two matinee shows over the weekend, however this was rejected by Brooks who felt that fans who had paid their money deserved to see the full show, which is a night time show.
This has left fans of his all over the country devastated as it looks like the concerts will now be completely cancelled. Trax Music in the Fairgreen Shopping Centre, who had a number of Carlow fans queue outside overnight to secure tickets for one of the gigs, have said they are none the wiser to what's going on either.
'Honestly, we don't know any more that what the public do,' said Brian from Trax. 'There's been no direct communication from Ticketmaster so far and we're just going by what's happening in the news.'
Brian said that while some people are holding off to see if some kind of agreement can be reached to allow the shows to go ahead, others are looking for refunds.
'I think refunds are already being offered online,' he said. 'I think we're being sent down a load of forms that people can pick up here from next week. Then they'll have to fill them out and send them off to Ticketmaster in order to get a refund.' It is unclear as to whether people should look for refunds straight away, or hold off to see if a solution can be reached in what has become a debacle of epic proportions.