Local man facing multiple charges
Published 22/01/2013 | 15:35
A LOCAL BUSINESSMAN charged with 172 offences, including rape and sexual assault, over the course of more than a decade is due before the Central Criminal Court next Monday.
The man, who in his late 40s, faces charges relating to offences allegedly committed between April 1978 and December 1986.
The charges include two counts of attempted rape between January 1980 and December 1982.
The man has not yet pleaded to the allegations. When the man appeared before Carlow District Court last February, Garda Ray Stapleton told Judge David Anderson he had served three separate Books of Evidence on the man who was in court supported by his wife and children.
State solicitor Alan Millard said most charges against the man-were to be sent forward to the Central Criminal Court.
The Central Criminal Court hearing had been due to start yesterday (Monday) but was adjourned for a week at the defence's request