Wednesday 26 July 2017

Club call

WICKLOW ROVERS AFC - The first team were in action in the first round of the FAI Intermediate Cup at the weekend when they played Pegasus/St James Athletic away, they lost out 2-1 but turned in a good performance.

Their opponents play in the division above them and are unbeaten so this was always going to be a tough game.

The second team went down 1-0 away to Killester United. It was a close game that could have went either way and the lads were unlucky not to get at least a point out of this game, the result means they fall three points behind league leaders Greystones United.

The club would like to wish second team player Karl Earls a speedy recovery from injury, we hope to see you back on the playing fields very soon.

The third team were away to St Patrick's in Avoca at the weekend and they gained their first point of the season in a thrilling 3-3 draw.

We had six of our Junior sides in National Cup action over the weekend, first up on Saturday was the 13Bs who came up against a strong Greenhills Boys team and were beaten comprehensively. In fairness to the lads they battled to the end.

The U-14Bs travelled to Kildare to take on Prosperous United and lost out 6-0. On Sunday the 12As took on their club mates the B team and ran out convincing winners to progress to the second round.

The 14As lost out 2-0 to Beechwood FC in a close game between two even teams. Our U15Bs were unlucky to lose out to Ardmore Rovers from the South Dublin League in a six-goal thriller losing 4-2 after extra time. The 13As, 15As and 16As all received byes to the second round of their cups.

In the girls section, the U-16 girls had a convincing 7-2 home victory over HHFC, a brace from Ally Webb and singles from Alicia O'Rourke, Clodagh Fox, Jade Manley, Chloe Brennan and Kayleigh Sullivan accounted for their goals.

We had two players in the hat-trick club this week; goal-scoring machine Charlie Christie hit his second hat-trick of the season for the 11Bs in his teams 5-2 away win against Ashford Rovers B to take his tally to 11 goals in three games. Also in the hat-trick club was Shane Cullinan who hit three for the U-12As in their National Cup win over their club mates from the B team, well done Charlie and Shane.

Everyone at Wicklow Rovers AFC would like to congratulate first team player Greg Dunne and Sasha Hegarthy on the arrival of baby Abbie, we all wish you the best of luck, health and happiness for the future.

Everyone at Wicklow Rovers AFC would like to express their sincere sympathy to the family and friends of Bernadette Neilan. Bernadette's grandson Joseph plays for our U-9As and her son Joe is on our executive committee. Our deepest condolences go out to Joe, Joseph, the Neilan family and friends, our thoughts and prayers are with you all at this sad time. May she rest in peace.

The club are seeking players for U-9s (born 2004), 10s (born 2003) and 11s (born 2002). If you have a child at any of these age groups and are interested in playing please contact John Frazer at 087-0564394. Anyone with information for the club notes or the club website can contact me at 087 9108706 or e-mail me at For all news regarding the club, check out the club website at or the club Facebook page.


Last Sunday the ladies made the trip to play Enniscorthy Town. The girls settled quickly, playing some brilliant soccer and stunned the home side with two great goals, both from the trusty boot of Fiona Byrne.

A very experienced Enniscorthy fought back to tie the game up before a very dubious penalty gave them the half time lead. This decision seemed to unsettle Shillelagh and they fell further behind to trail 4-2.

To their credit the girls regrouped and pulled a goal back from a terrific free kick by Noreen Lambert. Despite laying siege to the Enniscorthy goal for the last quarter of the match the girls just couldn't force an equaliser. Best for Shillelagh on the day were Nicola Gray, Noreen Lambert and Fiona Byrne. Next Sunday 7th October we play North End at home at 12pm. Training continues every Tuesday and Friday at 7pm with all new players welcome. Congratulations to Mary Doyle, c/o AJ Hilliard, this week's €100 winner in our 210 club draw. Reminder membership is now due - €40 and €20 for students.


More success for Bray Bray was well represented at the Leinster Track Championships last weekend at the Eamonn Ceannt Stadium, Sundrive Road.

Jason Howick was in fine form, taking gold in the 500 metre time trial and bronze in the Senior men's scratch race. Marguerite Clarke and Martin Gilmore were sixth and seventh in their respective time trials while Deirbhle Ivory and Will Ryan medalled in the Junior races. Deirbhle took silver in the U-16s time trial and bronze in the scratch race while Will took bronze in the U-12 100 metre time trial and bronze again in the scratch races.

Archie Ryan and Benjamin Clarke were sixth and ninth in the same time trial. Finally Anthony Clarke was just pipped to fourth place in the U-16s 500m time trial. Well done to all the Bray riders.

This weekend saw the first cyclo cross race of the season and Sean O Tuathuail was blazing it with the national champions.

Held in Clondalkin, the course was fast and gruelling, with riders having to carry their bikes at times.

Sean held second place for most of the race but was chased down by Ryan Sherlock and eventually had to settle for third, but a promising start to the cyclo cross season for Sean. Rob Magee continued the success in the B race, finishing in the top five.

Next Sunday is the annual Treasure Hunt Cycle. Starting time is 9.30am from the clubhouse and all club members are encouraged to participate.

For further details on all Bray Wheelers activities go to


In glorious sunshine last Saturday, Arklow Town FC welcomed the start of another weekend of soccer action - and an important one too with four teams involved in National Cup competitions.

The U-9A team welcomed Ardmore Rovers and Richie's lads must have had their Weetabix because they blasted away the opposition with some fine football and ended up winning the game 7-2 with goals from Ben Somers (4) Louis Harris-Hingerty (2) and Conn Kinsella, a great performance.

The U-10A team also had a home fixture and played host to Greystones Utd A in a game which proved a very close encounter ending in stalemate at 1-1.

The U-10B team entertained Greystones United B however things didn't quite go as planned for John Smith as they fell to a 6-1 defeat. Callum Rawl scored for the home team. Better luck next weekend boys.

Our U-11A's travelled to Woodlands to face Greystones Utd A in what turned out to be a cracker of a match. This was s fantastic game which ended in a 7-1 victory to the Town.

Sunday was not as sunny but there was still football to be played with our U9-B team away to Carnew AFC. A disappointing result for the boys with Carnew winning on the day 5-2 although the game was a lot closer than the score line indicates. There were two fine goals scored by Daniel Byrne.

The U-11B team had an all-important derby match against Arklow United and put on a fine and determined display to walk away with the three points.

The final score was 4-3 to The Town with Dylan O'Reilly, Dylan Smith, Leon Kenny-Barnes and Gavin O'Brien netting for The Town. Well done lads.

Our U-12A boys travelled to play Wicklow Town FC in the first round of the SFAI U-12 Danone Cup and proved too strong for the home side, slotting home eight goals. Final score: 1-8.

Also in National Cup action on Sunday were the U-12B team who faced the daunting task of the Newbridge Town FC U-12 Premier team. It was the visitors in this case who proved too strong for The Town boys and beat our lads fair and square. Arklow never gave up however and tried their best.

A better result at Bridgewater Centre Park on Sunday for the U-15A team who welcomed Killavilla United in the Goodison Cup. A fine performance from the Roscrea team however it was Arklow who ran out as winners in the end by a narrow margin of 4-3. Keith Crosbie (2), James Larkin and Clive Keenan were on target for The Town to see them through to the next round.

There was a surprise exit for our U-18 squad on Sunday when they travelled to face Maynooth Town FC in the FAI Umbro Youth Challenge Cup.

The game was a close and hard fought contest which ended with a 2-2 final score with goals from Ryan Murray and Dylan Orr. It was the Kildare team who advance however winning 4-3 on penalties. With the Premier team getting a walkover from Enniskerry YC on Friday night, the only Senior side in action was the Leinster Senior League team who travelled to Dublin to take on Bluebell United.

The home team struck early on and although they fought hard, The Town boys never recovered despite pulling back a couple of goals. Jonathan Kelty and Tom Smullen netted to bring the final score to 4-2 to Bluebell United.

Arklow Town FC would like to thank Ritchie Fortune and Sigma Aldrich Ireland Ltd, Vale Road, Arklow, for their generous donation of medical kits for all our teams this season.

The presentation took place at Lamberton during the week.


We had two games on at the weekend as the U11 and U-14 teams had no games. The U-9 team had another great win Sunday when they hosted Arklow town at home.

The boys kicked off the scoring early with a Barcelona type goal when all players touched the ball before Daniel Redmond finished it off.

The boys then went two one down after a few mistakes but they quickly lifted their heads and got back on track and ran out 5-2 winners in the end. Scorers were Daniel Redmond (2), Shane Byrne (2) and Aaron Fitzpatrick.

Player of the week went to Daniel Redmond for his consistent team work and coverage on the pitch. The U-8 team travelled to Avonmore on Sunday morning and were unlucky to come away with a 2-1 defeat.

The team had a brilliant performance and played their hearts out. Evan Kavanagh scored Carnew's only goal and Zach Jordan was player of the week. Club gear is available to purchase at the moment and we have all sizes in stock so please contact Lorraine for prices and to order.

As always follow us on Facebook at Carnew AFC for all the latest club news, fixtures and results.


We are getting a great turnout for our Junior academy which takes place every Saturday at 11am on our indoor pitch for boys and girls aged 3 to 7.

Thanks to all the coaches who give up their time to this project and the kids and parents who attend every week.

We only had two underage games this weekend with both games ending in draws the U-9s drew 2-2 with St Anthony's with Scott Devlin and Ryan O'Toole the scorers.

Scott's scored his first goal with his new boots hopefully the first of many. The U-10s drew 3-3 with Roundwood with Ross Quinn joining our hattrick club well done Ross also in our hat-trick club this month are Reece Doyle, Toby Curran, Callum Clarke. Well done to all four boys.

Our Premier team had a top of the table clash with Newtown on Friday night and this game also ended in a 2-2 draw. The Rathnew goal scorers were Philip Murphy with his first of the season and Shane Doyle earned us a well deserved draw with an absolute cracker. Well done lads still unbeaten.


Seagulls Lotto - There was no Jackpot winner on Sunday the 30th of September for a jackpot of €2325 numbers drawn were 7, 9, 16, 17. The five lucky pick winners for €30 were, J Davies c/o bwsc, V Fitzpatrick c/o V Fitzpatrick, F Moran c/o Glenview fc, S Slevin c/o F Slevin, E Earls c/o Glenview FC. The next draw will be on Sunday the 7th of October in the Hibernia Inn with a jackpot of €2400.

Online Shop - Bray Wanderers merchandise is now available to purchase on line. The on line souvenir shop can be accessed from the Supporters club web site home page

Race night - Bray Wanderers will be running a race night on Saturday the 20th of October in the Hibernia Inn on Bray Seafront. The first race is at 8pm.

Young Seagulls off the mark - Wanderers U-19s got off the mark for the season when beating Shamrock Rovers U-19s at a sunny Carlisle on Saturday afternoon.

A much improved performance by the young Seagulls saw them go ahead midway through the first half when Neil O'Kane scored. Wanderers doubled their lead in the second period through substitute Ismahil Akinade.


Results - Raheny 5k: Sunday 23rd September, the Rathfarnham 5k took place on a perfect morning for running.

Nine Bray Runners took part with Bill Stanley being the first one home in a new pb of 18.25. Richard Kavanagh was next in 19.19 and third O/55.

Noelle Thorpe continued her magnificent season with another pb, 20.43 and second O/50. Siobhan Butler ran 22.54, Andrea Murphy 24.06, a new pb, Susan Dowd, 24.43 and a new pb by over a minute. Ana Molina, 34.07, Elaine Nuzum, 34.18 and Lorraine O'Rourke ran 32.54 also a new pb.

Berlin Marathon: Three athletes from Bray took part in the Berlin marathon Sunday 30th September, Ian McGrath ran 2:38:14, Laurence Doyle ran 2:49:06 and Joe Kelly ran a new pb of 3:05:28. Well done to all three.

Kilcock Kilomarathon: Gary Condon finished in a time of 1:38:42, fifth place overall and first M40.

Challenge Barcelona Iron Man: Joe Cawley made the trip to Barcelona finishing in a time of 10:08. More results and news on

Events: Novice and Even Ages Cross Country: Roundwood Sunday October 7th, Intermediate and Uneven Ages Cross Country: Avondale Sunday October 14th.


Saturdays fixtures were both home matches the U-10s took on Coolboy. Town took control of the game from the start finishing 2-1 giving them their first win of the season, goal scorers were Sean McAulay and Jack O'Reilly.

Meanwhile the U-14s were taking on Wolf Tone for the second time in two weeks, despite the visitors having taken the win first time around the lads didn't let that deter them and finished with a 1-1 draw, Robert Taliga with Town's goal.

Sundays matches began with the U-8s at home to St Patrick's which was really a one sided event with the home winning 9-0, goal scorers were Adam Byrne 4, George O'Neill 2, Jamie Roche 2 and Lorcan Sinnott.

The U-12s had the home draw for the first round of the Danone Cup against Arklow Town, despite fighting hard and a cracker of a goal from Brandon Aranou, the vistors controlled the game giving them a 7-1 win.

The only schoolboy team with an away fixture was the U-11s who headed to Coolboy and certainly made their presence known with a 10-2 win, goal scorers were Dylan Kavanagh 5, Matthew Ryan 2, Dylan Doyle 2 and Jack Fox.

The Senior teams were all away, the U-17s headed to Shankill FC and bagged themselves a point with a 1-1 draw. The first and second teams had a double header against St Fergals, the first team came away victorious with a 3-2 win, Shane Dunne, Niall Manning and Brendan Cox scoring for town.

The second team were not so lucky ending on the wrong side of a 7-1 score line, Emmet Goucher scoring for town.

The WDSL 11-a-side Cup draw took place on Thursday last. The U-12s drew Aughrim and the U-14s drew Wolf Tone. Both games will take place at home times and dates to follow.

If you would to help with the running of the club please contact Amanda 086 3442848. Tonight (Wednesday 3rd) there will be a committee and managers meeting in the upstairs lounge of Ta Se's Bar at 8pm.

All club memberships are now due can all players please contact their individual managers regarding payment.

The club would like to congratulate the St Patrick's Ladies, U-16s and U-12s on their recent county title wins and best of luck to Mattie Byrne, Tommy Kelly, Richard Murphy and the rest of mens Senior team in their county final this Sunday.


Despite a couple of showers last weekend we managed to six games played and from these games we recorded four victories and two draws.

The U-8s played their first ever home game and after keenly contested game our lads came out on the right end of a 4-1 score line.

The U-9s had to settle for a share of the spoils away to Greystones in a 2-2 draw. Bobby Dowling scored both Newtown goals and on the day Sam and Rebecca Gillan were among the star performers.

The U-11's had to settle for a draw as well 3-3 away to St.Anthonys. Dylan Fitzsimons scored all three Newtown goals. In the National Cup our U12s advanced to the second round after an excellent 5-2 away win over Granada F.C.

The following day our U-14s made their way to the second round of the National Cup with an excellent 2-0 home win over Lourdes Celtic. Michael Coghlan and Ryan Waters scored the all important goals.

It's been a couple of years since we had any of our teams making it through to the second round so well done to everybody concerned.

Despite a defeat last week our U-16 girl's gave everything and this week while they never reached the heights of last week they took all three points from their away game to Templeogue United the team winning on a 4-1 score line.

The girl's U-18s got their season underway with a share of the spoils away to Rush Athletic in a 22 draw. The team led twice thanks to fine goals from Lauren Nolan and Cliona Crammond and were only denied all three points when Rush scored an excellent equaliser in the final minute.

In what was a great advertisement for girl's football Newtown had many star performers on the day including Rose Fagan, Orlaith Whelan and Lucie Ashmore.

Well done to all our players who received their caps from the Metropolitan Girls League for playing in the Gaynor/Bob Doherty cups (U-14s - Aisling McDonald, Katie Miley, Chelsee Snell and Kelsea Parsons and from the U-16s - Becky Cassin, Amy Murphy, Georgina Canavan and Cliona Crammond). Well done also to our new U18s keeper Lucie Ashmore on the award of her cap.

The girl's U-15's also received their runners up league medals on the night, well done to everybody concerned.

On a sad note everyone in the club send their deepest condolences to the family and friends of Patty Brennan nee (Sutton) who sadly passed away recently. May she rest in peace.

Training times for all our teams will be listed on our Facebook page and will be updated on a regular basis or you can contact Hughie at the number below.


Both first and second teams had to settle for away draws last weekend. The first team drew 22l away to Rathnew with Dessie Waters and Dean Odlum scoring the Newtown goals.

Unfortunately the team also missed a penalty which could have secured all three points. It was a similar score line for the second team away to Arklow Celtic where David Harvey scored both Newtown's goals.

Pre-season training continues for all of our teams every Wednesday and Friday evenings.

Promoted articles