Sunday 24 September 2017


WICKLOW ROVERS AFC: Action for the Senior teams was provided by the firsts and seconds with the third team having no game.

On Friday night the first team travelled to take on Parkvilla FC in the first round of the Gilligan Cup and were disappointed to fall at the first hurdle.

In truth they should take a good look at their disciplinary record of late as there is a pattern developing as the red mist descended on them again on Friday night.

This time the red card came early in play and left the team with an uphill task. Eventually they lost out by two goals to one with Ricki Quinn scoring their goal.

At the moment the team is in a bit of a slump but they are only losing games by the odd goal, at this level it's hard enough to win games with 11 players on the field never mind playing with 10.

The second team however had a more positive result. They took on joint league leaders Killester Utd and defeated them on a 2-1 score line.

This was a tight game between two committed teams, Rovers took the lead courtesy of an Aidan O'Neill penalty but a very good Killester side drew level to make it 1-1 at the break.

The crucial goal came with seven minutes left when Warren Gormley powerfully headed home a Rovers corner to give them all three points and in turn leap frog the visitors and Greystones Utd to the top of the league.

In the girls section the U-12s had a great 6-0 win away to Peamount Utd B in the second round of the MGL cup, leading scorer Niamh Caffrey helped herself to a hat-trick with singles from Amy Kavanagh, Clodagh Irwin and Emer McNulty completing the tally. The U- 14s lost 4-3 away to Lucan Utd in the second round of their cup. Jade Duffy must have felt a little unlucky as she netted a fantastic hat-trick and still ended up on the losing side. The U-16s lost 3-1 away to Broadford Rovers in the league with Kayleigh Sullivan getting the goal.

In the WDSL section there was a lot of cancellations. Of the games that were played our U-8Bs recorded an excellent 6-2 home win over St Patrick's A with the highlight a splendid four goals from Liam Burke, Tom Donoghue and Brian McCaul hit the other goals.

The U-9As had a narrow 2-1 away win over Arklow Utd with Conor Hunter and Calum Gibney hitting the back of the net.

The U-9Bs lost 6-0 to a very strong St Patrick's team. Our U-11As continued their quest for Division 1 honours with a 4-2 home victory over Wolfe Tone A.

Two U-10 players were on the score sheet here with Max Kearney getting a brace and Troy Sutton also scoring, Craig Anderson scored the fourth goal.

The U-11Bs title hopes suffered a setback when they lost out in a seven-goal thriller in the Hockey Pitch losing 4-3 to St Patrick's, Charlie Christie, Brian Hopkins and Jamie Noble all found the back of the net.

The U-13Bs recorded their first win of the season when they beat Arklow Utd 7-1, Stuart Cox hit a hat-trick with Stephen Finlay notching two and Dean Noble and Cormac Murray scoring one a piece.

The U-14As maintained their one hundred percent record in the Division 1 Shield when they defeated Wolfe Tone B 8-2 to qualify for the final.

Rory Dowling hit the back of the net four times followed closely by Shane Devlin who scored three, JJ Power scored the other.

The only other game played was the U-15As refixed National Cup game against Naas Utd. This game was originally due to be played in the Kildare teams ground but it was cancelled so it reverted to the Whitegates.

It was a closely fought game which the Kildare side won by two goals to nil. Rovers will feel they left this game behind them because they had the chances to win the game but failed to take them.

Even though a lot of games fell foul of the weather we still managed to have six players in the hat-trick club.

Niamh Caffrey (U-12 girls), Jade Duffy (U-14 girls), Liam Burke (U-8Bs), Stuart Cox (U-13Bs), Rory Dowling (U-14As) and Shane Devlin (U14As) all hit hat-tricks with Liam and Rory scoring four goals. Well done Niamh, Jade, Liam, Stuart, Rory and Shane.

Congratulations to our U-14As who qualified for the Division 1 Shield final after their 8-2 victory over Wolfe Tone B at the weekend.


Sean O'Tuathail is still blazing a trail in the CycloCross with another top three position last weekend in Tymon Park.

Despite being a bit under the weather Sean didn't want to miss the race and risk losing his second place position in the overall league so he dug deep and came third, still holding onto his second overall placing. With only two more rounds of the league to go, it's looking promising for Sean!

The October Bank Holiday saw over 14,000 runners take to the streets of Dublin for the annual Dublin City Marathon.

Leading the elite International and Irish runners were up to 20 Bray Wheelers who bike marshalled for the third year in a row.

It was a sight to behold, and a great privilege for the club.

Many thanks to the Bray volunteers for giving up their bank holiday and enduring the early start and the cold to do this for the club!

For further details on all Bray Wheelers spins and activities go to


The ladies have yet to get off the mark in this division and at this stage must be wondering just what they have to do to earn a point. Despite a blistering start in which Fiona Byrne put them two goals up, we eventually went down by the odd goal in five when we hosted Killenagh Wanderers on Sunday last.

As in every game so far this season we have yet to be outplayed and in fact dominated this game for long spells with Nicola Gray starring in goal with a couple of outstanding saves.

Fiona Dagge, Mayghan Doyle and Rachael Hickey led the way out the field with everyone giving their all right to the final whistle.

Training continues every Tuesday and Friday at 7pm. All new players welcome.

Congratulations to Christine Myler, Beechmount, Carnew, this week's €100 winner in our 210 club draw. Winning numbers were 14 and 31.


Seagulls lotto - There was no Jackpot winner on Sunday the 4th of November for a jackpot of €2700 numbers drawn were 8, 14, 15, 28. The five lucky pick winners for €30 were, L Scanlon c/o Online, J Murphy c/o Paul Murphy, S Harris c/o Shamrock Boys FC, R Slevin c/o F Slevin, E Brophy c/o F Slevin.

The next draw will be on Sunday November 11 in the Hibernia Inn with a jackpot of €2775. If anyone wishes to sell lotto tickets, please contact the club at 2828214.

Online Shop - Bray Wanderers merchandise is now available to purchase on line. The on line souvenir shop can be accessed from the Supporters club web site home page

Player of the year - Marty Waters was voted Bray Wanderers Player of the Year by the Supporters Club. The full list of prizewiners is as follows: Senior Player of the Year: Marty Waters; Young Player of the Year: Pierce Sweeney; U-19 Player of the Year 2011/12: Stephen McGuinness; Leading Goalscorer: Jason Byrne ; Clubman of the Year: Brian Kane; Club Person of the Year: Brendan Harmon; Player of the month awards: March: Jason Byrne; April/May/June: Marty Waters; July and September: Darren Quigley; August and October: Sean Houston.


Carnew AFC had two games in action this weekend due to the under 8 game been postponed.

The U-9 team travelled to Lamberton in Arklow where they took on the Arklow Town A team on a cold and windy Sunday morning. Arklow dominated the possession for the first 10 minutes of the game but they didn't test goalkeeper Shane Byrne as they were playing with the wind.

Carnew broke and scored a brilliant goal through Dan Redmond. The defence of Richard Green, Jack White and Aaron Fitzpatrick were very solid.

At half time the score line read Carnew 1, Arklow 0. Within five minutes of the second half kicking off Arklow caught Carnew on the break twice and we were left trailing 2-1.

The boys lifted their heads and the midfield pairing of Dan Redmond and Ben Gilligan took control and set up Richard Green for a brilliant equaliser.

Carnew were on top and good work from Luke Wallace and Jack Rosney up front led to a corner which saw Carnew score their third goal through Dan Redmond.

It was tense final five minutes with Jack White making two brilliant saves and Ben Gilligan heading the ball off the line in the last kick of the game to secure the victory.

Brilliant performance by all players and it was hard pick the player of the week. The player of the week went to Ben Gilligan for his work rate, passing, tackling and his will to win for the team. Well done all on an incredible performance

The U-11 team hosted Wicklow town at home in the Back alley Sunday morning.

The Carnew side were the stronger of the two teams and were unlucky not to hold onto their 32 lead. The travelling team scored late in the game to make it a 3-3 draw and Carnew were disappointed that they didn't hold onto all three points.

The results of the team this season are not on par with the teams performances. Player of the week went to Stephen Kenny. Bunclody tickets are due this week along with outstanding registration money.


Last Sunday Rathdrum hosted the Women's Artistic Level 1 Regional team finals with girls coming from as far as Dungarvan to compete. Over 50 took part with a strong group from Rathdrum of 32, 14 of these are now through to the national finals to be held in south Dublin on Saturday, December 1.

One of our beginners, Ciara O'Leary got the highest floor and vault score in the 1C category on the day, Naoise Jameson got the highest floor score in 1B and Moya Kelly the highest vault in the same group. Congratulations to them all.

Next Sunday will have the club competing in another trampoline competition in Athy with the largest number of entries to date from Rathdrum.

Wicklow town trampoline classes take place in the Fatima hall in the Dominican College using a full Olympic size trampoline on Wednesdays from 5-6 pm and 6-7 pm

New gymnastic classes are about to start in Rathdrum on Thursday evenings as almost all the other classes are either full or have waiting lists.

These new classes will run from 4-5 pm, 5-6 pm and 6-7 pm and cover floor, vault, bars and beam (no trampoline) and can be booked online in the enrolment/waiting list section of our website details of costs are all on the website too. The club can be contacted by email of by text/call 086 3212213


Our Junior academy continues every Saturday at 11am for children aged 4 to 7 years on our indoor pitch so no matter what the weather is like the kids still get to enjoy their football and the parents can sit back put their feet up and have a cup of tea.

The U-10s and U-12s games were called off due to the bad weather this weekend but the U-8s and U-9s got to play their games. The U-9s played out a 1-1 draw with Greystones in a very entertaining game after going 1-0 down Toby Curran produced a moment of magic when he went on a great solo run to leave a number of defenders in his wake and then produced a cool finish that would have be worthy of the great Lionel Messi, well done Toby.

The U-8s played out a 2-2 draw at home to St Anthony's in terrible conditions on Sunday morning. The scorers on the day were Cole Byrne and Sam Healy.

The club and especially the U-8s and their managers would like to thank Rathnew Fuel Depot and Colly Clare for their kind sponsor of a new set of gear for the team a great gesture and very much appreciated by all at the club.

There is a very important managers meeting Thursday night in the clubhouse at 8pm for our schoolboy/girls teams. All managers to attend.


The Arklow Town FC 'Movember' team - supporting the Irish Cancer Society - gathered in The Old Ship on Friday night.

The Town has joined up with the Arklow and District Lions Club to support this worthy cause and we must give a mention to the players representing Arklow Town FC - Owen Moore, Danny O'Reilly, Eunan O'Donnell, John Smith, Don McDonald, Joe Mills, John Kavanagh, Stephen Hanlon, Kenneth O'Neill, Jason Vanderheijden, John Fox, Austin Walker, Tom (Snazz) Kavanagh, Michael Mahon, Tony Kealy, Alan Redmond and Match O'Reilly.

You can keep an eye on their progress over the coming weeks on The Town Facebook page.

Our weekend of football also started on Friday night and we witnessed the WDFL Premier team advance to the second round of the Charlie Bishop Cup with a good win over Saints FC. Gavin Doyle, John Fennell, Willie Kavanagh, Donal O'Keeffe and Gearoid Redmond were all on target.

On Saturday the U-11A team played out a 1-1 draw against Roundwood with Oran Walker scoring for The Town.

The U-9B team, despite goals from Daniel Byrne and Paidi Kavanagh, were narrowly defeated in Bray by Wolfe Tone. Tammy Byrne and Frances Burke stood in as temporary team managers for the day. Well done ladies!

On Sunday, Aaron O'Brien stepped up from the U-8 team to help the U-9A boys against Carnew AFC. Aaron, along with Louis Harris-Hingerty scored in a tight affair which saw the visitors win 32. Shane Parle hit the net for the U-11B team who were beaten by Greystones however there was a better result for the U-12A boys who had a good win over Aughrim Rangers.

Liam Moore, Daniel Bruce, Jack O'Reilly and Sean Crowley all on target and in fact Liam Moore added to his tally when he appeared with the U13B team against Greystones United.

Another good win for the boys with Stephen Quinn and Conor Roche also on the scoresheet. Ryan McGowan scored a brace for the U-14B team who were beaten by Wolfe Tone.


Congratulations to Daniel Fitzsimons and Brandon Aranou who made it on to the U-12 county squad and to Dylan Doyle, Matthew Ryan,Mark Whelan, Dylan Kavanagh, Luke Kelly and Callum Kelly who made the U-11 county panel, we wish you all the best.

Last weekend we only had four teams in action. Saturday began with the U-10s at home to Greystones but were unfortunate to be on the losing end of a 5-1 score line, Jack O'Rielly with town's goal. The U-12s travelled to Greystones but due to no ref the match was cancelled.

On Sunday first up were the U-11s away to Carnew which finished with a 3-3 draw, goal scorers were Callum Kelly, Dylan Kavanagh and Mark Whelan. The first team were next up with an away fixture to Fairwood in theCharlie Bishop Cup, after a 2-1 win they now progress to the next round, Niall Manning and Eddie Kelly with town's goals, well done Finn and the lads.

The final date for outstanding memberships is November 15th, thank you to all who have paid and anyone still to pay can they please contact their relevant manager. For club news and updates please log on to our Facebook page Wicklow Town AFC.


Five of our teams played last weekend and from these games we recorded two victories, one draw and two defeats. On Saturday the U- 9s travelled to play Auigrim Rangers and despite a 3-0 loss the whole team never dropped their heads and put in a very good team performance.

The U-11s travelled to Bray to take on Ardmore Rovers and came away with a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw. Jack Elliott scored the Newtown goal from an excellent free kick. Along with Jack, Andrew Waters and Josh Odlum had fine games.

It was then onto Sunday morning and we awakened to find a deluge of heavy winter rain which unfortunately meant both the games involving the U-8s and 14s had to be cancelled.

The U-12s did play away to Wolfe Tone and with the bare team due to illness they came away with a 6-1 win. James Crean scored twice and he was joined in the scorer's enclosure by Ciara Dease, Jordan Butler, Mark McHugh and Ciaran Keogh.

Best wishes go to centre half Cian Walsh who was injured during the game but we are glad to report that he is on the mend and raring to go. The U-16 girls had a home cup tie with Castleknock Celtic and they won this game 2-0 thanks to two fine strikes from Abbie Molloy (her first goals for the club).

Along with Abbie goalkeeper Aisling McDonald was outstanding producing five excellent saves and Erynn O'Brien and Heather Cullen enjoyed fine games.

Credit must go to both sets of players who played in atrocious underfoot conditions. The girls U-18s suffered their first defeat of the season away to a very good St. Josephs team on a 3-1 score line. While never happy with a defeat the team gave it their all and if their final ball and decision making in the final third had been a little more decisive they may have secured a more positive result.

Their goal (the equaliser) came from the penalty spot after Amy Murphy had been fouled and Cliona Crammond coolly slotted the penalty to the net. Best for Newtown were Becky Cassin, Rose Fagan, Erin Horan and Jane Fagan who had a super game but in fairness the whole team gave it their all.

Only one player from the club celebrates a birthday this week and he is the U-11s Ryan Smillie. Happy birthday Ryan from everyone at Newtown Juniors.

Training times for all our teams will be listed on our Facebook page and will be updated on a regular basis or you can contact Hughie at the number below. For all other queries/matters relating to the club contact Hughie at 087-6987653 or visit our website and you can also find us on Facebook.


With the second teams game at home to Seaview Wanderers falling foul of the weather only the first team saw action over the weekend. In the defence of the Bishop cup they won last season the team travelled to Rathnew for an all-Premier tie.

The home side had the better of the chances in the first half but Newtown hit Rathnew with a two goal blast in 5 minutes before the break.

Shane Mooney scored the first coming in from the right flank and Dessie Waters added the second from close range following a corner kick. Rathnew pulled a goal back when Newtown defender Neilly Martin diverted the ball into his own net while trying to clear. Newtown restored their two-goal advantage when Mark Fitzsimons finished to the roof of the net.

With six minutes remaining Rathnew scored from the spot after a harsh award against stand in keeper Ross Odlum.

If that was harsh the Rathnew equaliser was even more controversial when a Rathnew forward seemed to put the ball into the net with his hand after a cross from the left wing.

In what was a very enjoyable game we had a further 20 minutes of extra time to enjoy. Newtown retook the lead when Dessie Waters scored his second goal of the game.

In the final minute of time added on Rathnew forced a corner which was delivered to the back post and headed home to the net from close range.

It was on to penalties and Rathnew won out on a 4-3 score line and Newtown relinquished their hold on the Bishop trophy. On the night both sets of players must be applauded on a fine game which served as a fine advertisement for Wicklow League football.