Blaze in Ard Na Greine

Published 12/07/2014 | 12:00

A FIRE started in an Ard Na Greine bungalow last Sunday night, the day before the council was supposed to start work to refurbish the boarded-up home.

Bray Fire Service attended the scene and broke down the shutters from the front of the house to gain access and extinguish the blaze which caused extensive smoke and water damage.

This was the second fire there, the garden shed having done up in smoke on a previous occasion. Children were regularly seen playing on the roof of the house. The shutters were pulled off the rear of the house prior to the blaze, and over the months damage has been done to tiles, gutters and other aspects of the house exterior.

Locals saw two young lads running away from the scene. It is believed that the fire started on a sofa in the living room.

The house had been vacant since late last year. While it is understood that the property has already been allocated to another tenant, the housing officer is away on leave at the moment until next week.

'From early on people were getting in through the velux window at the top of the bungalow,' said Cathaoirleach of Bray Municipal District John Brady.

He added that he has put in questions to officials wondering why the property was boarded up for so long, and how it was secured.

Bray People

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

GrabOne Deals

News