Thursday 27 July 2017

Carney strike earns vital draw

BRAY LADIES firsts travelled to Newbridge on Saturday and faced some tough opposition. Bray had most of the possession with excellent play up front by Jessica Carey, Charlotte Carney and Michelle Lambert. Unfortunately the visitors were unable to score and both sides remained level at 0-0 at half time. Bray upped their game in the first five minutes of the second half with a great ball fed through from Serena Rush which found Charlotte Carney.

Carney dodged through two defenders and struck the ball past the keeper to put the Bray side in front. Excellent play by Tara Kelly, Lauren Kelly and Aoife Mulford ensured that Bray continued to attack and seek more goals.

Two short corners for the Bray side were saved by the Newbridge keeper and an attack on the Bray defence saw Newbridge awarded a short corner.

The corner was well taken and found the back of the Bray goal to put the side level once again. Left back Katie Burgess continued to feed excellent ball through the midfielders who in turn attempted to seek out the Bray forwards. Unfortunately time ran out for the Bray side and the score remained 1-1 at full time.

It has been four wins in a row now for the Bray's fourths. On Saturday last Bray played Avoca and won a super game 7-1.

Bray were in fine form scoring five goals in the first half, and two in the second.

The first goal was scored by Bray's captain Sonya Griffin within the first nine minutes of the match. A super shot at goal after a short corner, Sonya bolted the ball superbly into the back of the Avoca net with an incredible shot.

Early goals seem to be a regular occurrence lately for the Bray fourths, which gives them the confidence to proceed with ease and play some beautiful hockey, passing gracefully to one another up the midfield through Aoife Shortt, Sonya Griffin, and Amy Buckley, and onto their forwards, Asia O'Driscoll, Sarah O'Neill, Annabel Kirwan and Lee Henley.

Two more goals were scored by Sarah O'Neill who had a fantastic game considering she had a nasty fall at the beginning of the match. It looked like she may not be able to continue to play on, but she dusted herself off and had a great game.

The first goal she scored by running all the way up the right-hand side of the pitch from halfway and straight into the circle. She boomed an incredible shot at goal and scored.

Her second goal came quite quickly after that with the help of Aoife Shortt setting her up beautifully by passing a lovely ball off the end of her stick, giving Sarah a great position and she dually put the ball into the Avoca net. These two ladies did Bray proud and showed great teamwork all day. Bray were all over Avoca, with about 90 percent of the play being in the Avoca 25.

Bray's fourth goal was scored yet again by captain Sonya Griffin. With the majority of the Avoca players within their circle, they were not able to stop Sonya's shot. Some great play and determination from Sinead Leinihen who passed the ball back to Sonya to score.

Bray were certainly on top of their game and it was not long to go before the half time whistle, but there was time for Amy Buckey to barge her way through the opposition like a bat out of hell and slam in Bray's fifth goal of the game.

The second half of the match got under way seeing Avoca go out with a bit more determination. Avoca stepped it up a couple of notches and scored their only goal of the match.

But Bray were not becoming complacent. Bray fought back and nothing else got passed their back line. Jess Barker stopped every ball that came her way, along with Lorna Caulfield and Roisin Healy. Rowena Kehoe, Bray's left back, came up to help with Bray's final short corner of the game. Sonya Griffin stopping the ball dead, passed it back to Rowena, who pushed it on to the end of Amy Buckley's stick to score her second goal of the day and Bray's sixth. Amy was on fire! And with only a few minutes from full time, Amy scored her third goal of the game.

Promoted articles