THE DEATHS of three brothers, Pat, John and James Campbell who were originally from Upper Jenkinstown within the space of eighteen days in November evoked widespread sympathy in the area.
Their deaths coming just five months after the death of another brother, Matt meant that half of the family of eight passed away within the one calendar year and leaves just one surviving member of the family, sister, Clare Cumiskey who resides in Jenkinstown.
All where the children of John and Elizabeth (neé Morgan) from Jenkinstown.
They were brought up on the family farm, one of the highest, if not the highest holding in Louth, where sheep rearing was the primary source of income.
Patrick was the first of the three deaths in November. He died on the 10th, followed on the 22nd by John while the last remaining boy in the family, James died on the 28th.
Patrick was born on August 27th, 1928. He was the youngest of the family and completed his education at the CBS in Dundalk. He returned home to work on the family farm after the death of his father, John and remained on the farm all his life.
He loved his life as a sheep farmer on the Cooley mountains and in his young days he enjoyed local dances and a visit to the cinema. A jolly, outgoing man, Patrick had a fine voice and sang at many a wedding, party not to mention a wake. He was a keen supporter of St. Patrick's GFC and attended their most important matches.
Patrick's health deteriorated in recent months and he died peacefully in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital. Having reposed at his home, his remains were taken to St. Mary's Church, Ravensdale were Requiem Mass was celebrated by Very Rev. P. Murphy, P.P. Burial took place in Calvary cemetery.
John, the second of the brothers to pass away, was born on April 13th, 1923.
He left home when he was twelve to live with his widowed aunt, Maryann Kelly (neé Morgan) in Carrickarnon and lived there all his life. He worked on his aunt's farm and the border shop of his uncle, Edward Morgan.
In August, 1956 he married Mary McCartney and sadly in 1976 Mary died suddenly. John was always in good humour and enjoyed a happy life. He loved a social outing and loved meeting people, especially in his favourite place, Carrickdale Hotel. He loved boxing and once travelled to America to see the ' Clones Cyclone', Barry McGuigan box.
He died suddenly at home and having reposed at home his remains were taken to the Church of the Sacred Heart, Jonesborough where Requiem Mass was celebrated by Very Rev. D. Maloney, P.P. Burial took place in Jonesborough cemetery.
James, the third of the brothers to pass away in November, was born on August 17th, 1926. He worked in many parts of the United Kingdom during his early years. He married Eileen Woods from Knocknagorna, Omeath in February, 1926.
They both worked in the English holiday resort, Blackpool during the holiday period and spent their winter months in Carlingford.
In the late 1970's they returned home and built a supermarket in Omeath, which they sold in the 1990's when they both retired.
They soon got bored with retirement and started an ice cream stall in Carlingford in Taaffe's Castle. James worked until he was taken ill in September last. Sadly Eileen died in July, 1996.
James had a great love of animals, especially his cat, Sam who lived until he was nearly twenty. James will also be fondly remembered by the school children in Omeath and they paid a nice tribute to him at his funeral.
James died in Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital and having reposed at his residence, James' remains were taken to St. Laurence's Church, Omeath were Requiem Mass was celebrated by Rev. Fr. McCreesh, P.P. Burial took place in the adjoining cemetery.
All three were active members of the Fianna Fail Party and John and James served as Peace Commissioners in the area until their deaths.
The three brothers will be greatly missed by their sister, Clare Cumiskey and by nephews, nieces, in-laws, relatives and friends. They were predeceased by their brothers, Matt aand Michael and sisters, Mary, Angela.
Pat's Month's Mind was held on December 18th in St. Mary's Church, Ravensdale, while John's will be held on December 22nd in Church of Sacred Heart, Jonesborough at 6.00 p.m. and James' on January 6th, 2013 at 11 a.m. in St. Laurence's Church, Omeath.