independent

Thursday 28 August 2014

Keelan calls for introduction of Epilepsy Monitoring Units

Published 09/06/2013 | 00:00

  • Share
Cllr Conor Keelan.

A former chairperson of Dundalk Town Council, who has epilepsy, has made a passionate plea for the provision of Epilepsy Monitoring Units as a matter of urgency.

  • Share
  • Go To

Calling for the Government to implement the National Epilepsy Care Programme in full, Cllr Conor Keelan, pictured, said 40,000 people in Ireland have epilepsy, 40% of whom have difficulty in controlling their condition, with 130 people die From epilepsy each year.

Last year, in consultation with Epilepsy Ireland, the Government approved a National Epilepsy Care Programme. One of the initiatives was a 2million Euro fund to create two epilepsy units, one in Beaumont Hospital and the other in Cork. Although the units had been built since last September, they are lying idle due to lack of funding for staff.

Meanwhile, patients are being sent abroad for treatment at considerable expense.

Speaking personally, Cllr Keelan said he had attended one such units and had been able to control his epilepsy since then.

He hoped that the units would be open before the end of the year.

Cllr Kevin Meenan seconded the proposal, saying there would be plenty of people in town pleased to see them raising the issue.

The Argus

Read More

GrabOne Deals

News