independent

Friday 29 April 2016

Disqualified drink driver 'took a chance'

Published 19/03/2014 | 05:20

A DRINK driver 'took a chance' and got behind the wheel to get gas for his house, despite having already been banned for being over the limit.

Paul McGreevy, 16 Castle Heights, Castletown Road, was stopped close to his home on July 28.

A breath sample showed he was over the limit and he had no insurance or driving licence and admitted driving while disqualified.

Judge Flann Brennan was told that McGreevy had already been banned in February 2012 for three years for a drink driving related offence.

Solicitor Paul Tiernan said the incident had happened when his client 'took a chance' and went to get gas for the house. Mr. Tiernan said McGreevy 'accepts he has a problem with drink' and was only three months into the first drink driving ban when he was stopped again.

The defendant no longer has the car. Mr Tiernan said his client does a lot of voluntary work coaching young people in pipe band competitions.

Judge Brennan imposed a three month sentence, but suspended it for three months.

He also banned McGreevy from driving for six years.

The Argus

Read More

Promoted articles

News