Quotes of the week
Published 17/01/2016 | 02:30
A look back at the week in quotes
"I have a date in my head, yes. I'll share that with you and everyone else when I decide to go to Áras an Uachtaráin."
- Taoiseach Enda Kenny tells reporters on Monday that he has a date in mind for the election, but declined to reveal it - adding that the date will be revealed in a "very public fashion".
"I am a very lazy person with huge drive. It's the oil tanker thing. Once I get going, I don't want to stop. Once I stop, I don't want to get going."
- Comedian Eddie Izzard.
"I've said you're not a very gifted broadcaster, and goodness you go on, and sometimes you don't make any sense - but I wish you all the best with it, wherever you are going."
- Broadcaster Eddie Mair's farewell 'tribute' to Robert Peston, who is leaving the BBC for ITV.
"The first time I drank tequila I ended up on the roof of a hotel in Turkey with a famous German politician."
- Artist Tracey Emin.
"These days the only way I know I am alive is when I wake up in the morning - and nothing new has fallen off."
- Veteran broadcaster Esther Rantzen.
"Every day I think about quitting, but they come and offer me a job, and I say OK, because I'm an actor. We are mad. All actors want to be loved - I think that's in all actors. We want more, more, more."
- Actor Anthony Hopkins.
"I never wanted to quit. What would I do? It's one of the thrilling things about acting - you don't necessarily have to stop. There will always be the part for some old geezer in the corner of the script"
- Sir Ian McKellen.
"I don't want that nauseating, back-slapping, 'aren't we all great?'"
- Ricky Gervais, hosting the Golden Globes ceremony.
"The dry cleaner might have left it in his pocket after his last hosting gig."
- The New York Times hits out at Ricky Gervais about his "stale" joke about Charlie Sheen and his other remarks "slathered in vinegar" at the Golden Globes.
"We have been successful as an independent nation for hundreds of years. We have seen off the Spanish Armada, Napoleon and Hitler. We have a longer record in self-government than any other country in Europe."
- Tory peer Lord Tebbit, who wants to see Britain quit the EU.
"I am out of proportion. My head is too small, my neck too long. I'm like a bag of prunes that's come out of the freezer and is starting to thaw."
- Actress Maureen Lipman.
"Politics now is rather like going into Starbucks for a coffee."
- Comedian Rory Bremner.
"John Cleese once told me he'd do anything for money. So I offered him a pound to shut up - and he took it."
- Monty Python's Eric Idle.
"The whole game is all screwed up. Football has become soft like our country has become soft."
- Donald Trump, Republican hopeful for the White House.
"We are apart constantly, but we're great - we accept it is never going to be perfect."
- Ellie Goulding on her relationship with McFly's Dougie Poynter.
"There'll be a celebrity deathmatch outside with all the Paddies nominated."
- Director Lenny Abrahamson looks forward to the Oscars ceremony.