Rolling back 25 years to public versus private sector conflicts
John DowningWhen his career was on the rise, Bertie Ahern was seen as a 'Mr Strike-fixer'. The future Taoiseach, and eventual national anti-hero, had an adept conciliator's touch which he deftly deployed to help fix big and intractable disputes, including the ESB and Dublin Fire Brigade rows amongst others, during his term as Labour Minister from March 1987 until February 1992.
- Garda strike marks turning point for force - but cool heads are needed
- 'Special deal for gardaí could lead to domino effect and limit hiring' - Donohoe
- Dublin Bus claims it will fund pay rise through 'efficiencies'
- Lansdowne Road was all about industrial peace
- The Harcourt Street detective who is fronting the wage dispute