While you were sleeping - all the stories you missed overnight
Published 02/11/2015 | 06:51
The bodies of some of the victims of the passenger plane that crashed in Egypt killing everyone on board have been flown back to Russia.
There were 224 people on board the Metrojet Airbus A321-200 which crashed on Saturday morning in the Sinai Peninsula, and the vast majority of them were Russian.
This morning, a plane from the Russian Ministry for Emergency Situations landed in St Petersburg carrying some of the bodies.
The Airbus A321-200 crashed 23 minutes after taking off from Sharm el-Sheikh en route to St Petersburg.
Russia's most senior aviation official has said that it broke up at high altitude, prompting reports there may have been a bomb on board the aircraft.
Meanwhile,an Irish team, comprising staff from the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) of the Department of Transport and the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA), will fly to Egypt today to assist in the investigation into the crash of Metrojet flight 7K-9268.
In other overnight news, China must continue to enforce its one-child policy until new rules allowing all couples to have two children go into effect, the top family planning body said.
The ruling Communist Party said last week that Beijing would loosen its decades-old one-child policy. But the plan for the change must be approved by the rubber-stamp parliament during its annual session in March.
The online statement by the National Health and Family Planning Commission contradicts a remark by a family planning official in the southern province of Hunan, who said last week that couples currently pregnant with a second child will not be punished, according to the Hunan Daily newspaper.
On the front pages of the Irish newspapers this morning, the face of a young man who was stabbed to death on Hallowe’en night features under the headlines ‘Killed as he tried to stop fight’ and ‘Halloween stab horror’.
Lorcan O’Reilly (21) was stabbed in the heart as he tried to stop a fight in a city flats complex on the night of the Hallowe’en mayhem in Dublin.
The Herald reports that Mr O’Reilly’s family are ‘distraught’ after the incident. Gardai are investigating if the stabbing was carried out by a 15-year-old boy with links to gangland figure ‘Fat’ Freddie Thompson. Mr O’Reilly features on the front pages of the Herald, the Irish Daily Star and the Irish Daily Mirror.
‘New plan to tackle worst 200 burglars’ reads the front page of this morning’s Irish Independent. A total of 200 of the most prolific offenders will be targeted by gardai in a new nationwide crackdown on crime. The operation is being launched today and will focus on high-volume crimes like burglaries.
Read more: New plan to tackle worst 200 burglars
‘Think tank backs Kelly stance on rent control’ reads the front page of the Irish Times. The newspaper writes that an unpublished report has backed Environment Minister Alan Kelly’s stance on rent certainty measures.