Tuesday 17 October 2017

Roy Keane questioned by police over alleged road rage bust-up

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Ian Leonard

ROY Keane has been questioned under caution by police over an alleged road rage bust-up with a taxi driver.

The 43-year-old is said to have launched a foul-mouthed tirade and made obscene gestures after jumping out of his Range Rover to confront the taxi driver at a set of traffic lights.

The alleged bust took place in Altrincham, Greater Manchester, on January 30.

Taxi driver Fateh Kerar, 44, said the row was sparked when he and his female passenger spotted Keane as they stopped at a cash machine in nearby Hale.

Mr Kerar claims he said “hello” to the former Manchester United star and then “smile”.

An “angry” Keane is said to have followed Mr Kerar’s taxi before stopping at traffic lights and acting “very aggressive”.

Police launched an investigation into the incident and Keane, who lives in Bowdon, Cheshire, was interviewed under caution by officers at a police station earlier this month.

A Greater Manchester Police spokesperson said a file had been passed to CPS and a decision will now be made whether the assistant manager of Republic of Ireland and TV pundit will face any charges.

Mr Kerar, 44, claims he was left "shaking and terrified" by Keane’s behaviour.

"He got out of his car in the middle of the road, held two fingers up and walked out in front of me He was pointing and swearing and being very aggressive,” he said.

"He shouldn’t be allowed to treat people that way. There were lots of people stood around who couldn’t believe what they were seeing.”

When asked about the incident by a Daily Mirror reporter, Keane said: “Believe what you want. I can tell what you want from me, you just want a quote.

"Now get the f*** away from me. Get the f*** away from me, now."

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Don't Miss

Also in News