The Giro d'Italia touches down in Dublin this week, here's some of the best things to do while it's on
1. Take a Giro d’Italia Special Bike Tour, starting from Fade Street in Dublin, with www.seedublinbybike.ie.
2. The Modius Strip, at various locations. Artist Aaron Lawless will make a series of remakes of conceptual artist Marcel Duchamp’s Bicycle Wheel. The sculptures will be loosely chained to bike stands around the city centre at the weekend.
3. Opera in the Open, Friday May 9, at 1pm, at Dublin’s Civic Offices, Wood Quay.
No booking necessary. This opera is a tale of unrequited love, cheap wine and a furtive tear in which a naive but handsome youth employs a ‘magical elixir’ to win a feisty Italian lady’s affections
4. Dame District Event – Oxfam celebration: Dame Court/Dame Lane 5-10pm, May 10. Five hours of free outdoor live music will fill the streets with a festival vibe that brings Italy to the city. Acts include The Lunar Boys from 5-7pm, Opera singer Wayne Woodman from 7-8pm and The Fullmoon Boogie Band from 8-10pm
Dave’s Pizza will be on board with his hand made pizza. For more, see: www.damedistrict.com / email@example.com
Festivities outside the Dame Tavern on Arthur's Day.
5. The Town We Love so Well – City Bike Tales at Irish Writers Centre on Parnell Square, Dublin. Friday 1pm, May 9. Booking via: firstname.lastname@example.org
An interactive open mic event which will be hosted by illustrator Alan Clarke where bike enthusiasts and writers will merge their interests. Come as a guest or as a performer; from your own work or from another’s – poetry, prose, flash fiction, comedy, music, anything goes – as long as it’s bike related.
6. Bespoke Giro Signage, citywide, May 9 to 11. New bespoke signage will be temporarily displayed on Dublin’s streets, celebrating cycling in the city and our love of the bike.
Getting into the festive spirit in Cushendall Co-Antrim. Photo: Margaret McLaughlin
8. Free ‘Story Map’ tour, from Kilmainham Gaol at 3pm on May 9-11. Duration: 90mins. Bring your own bike, helmet and refreshments. To register: https://www.facebook.com/storymap.ie
9. Le Cool Rides: Team Le Cool’s bespoke cycle tours of Dublin City. Taking in exhibitions, stopping for coffee and tastings. An experiential and community-driven bike tour. To register, see: http://lecool.com/dublin/en/page/le%20cool%20experience
Grand Canal Dock, 2pm May 9, The Botanic Gardens, 2pm May 10, Portobello, 2pm May 11.