Carrie travelled to Peru with Audley Travel. Prices for a similar trip start from €3,453 (£2,795) per person, including international flights from Dublin, internal flights, transfers, tours and accommodation.
For more information and bookings, call 0044 1993 838 620 or see www.audley.co.uk.
Five things to do
• Eat your way around the country. In coastal Lima, the famous ceviche -- raw fish marinated in lime juice, red onion and spices -- is a must-try. In the mountains, guinea pig is a favourite, and don't forget to try the national cocktail, the pisco sour.
• Take a walk on the wildside in the Amazon. Wildlife lovers should not skip this.
• Spot some of Peru's 3,000 varieties of potato at the markets, including Pisac's market in the Sacred Valley.
• Take a boat trip around Lake Titicaca and visit the Uros and Taquile Islands to see some of the traditional ways of life in Peru.
• You don't need to hike the Inca Trail to enjoy Machu Picchu. The views from within the site are stunning, and you can climb Huayna Picchu for more picture-postcard, bird's-eye views.