Hospice Home Care for Children – The Facts
Published 27/12/2012 | 06:00
• An estimated 1,400 children in Ireland are living with life-limiting conditions.
• About 350 children die from these each year, 11pc of them at home.
• The Irish Hospice Foundation (IHF) has raised €2.5m to launch the Hospice Home Care for Children programme and needs to raise €1m more to keep it going.
• The IHF provides five children's outreach nurses, who support families with seriously ill children in their homes.
• It also funds Ireland's only Consultant Paediatrician specialising in palliative care.
• The aim of the programme is to ensure any parent who chooses to care for their child at home throughout their illness and in their final days can do so, as Sarah's family did.