You have the power to sculpt your day into a great one
Published 06/03/2014 | 02:30
Does a day happen to you? Or do you happen to a day? Does life happen to you? Or do you happen to life? There was a sculptor who knew how to look at a block of marble and see within it a statue; he instantly knew what he had to chip away and chisel to release the statue trapped inside.
He admired Michelangelo. He remembered reading that when Michelangelo was asked how he carved the beautiful statue of David in Florence, he replied: "I just saw David in that lump of marble without blemish, and all I did was remove everything that was not David."
This sculptor knew how to not only sculpt and shape a piece of marble, but he also knew how to sculpt and shape his day. He really understood how his freedom to choose either The Green Platform or The Red Platform also shaped his day for better or for worse. This is his morning self-talk:
* Today, I am excited over all I get to do before the clock strikes midnight. I have responsibilities to fulfil today. I am important. My job is to choose what kind of day I am going to have. I can choose a great day on The Green Platform or I can choose a miserable day on the Red Platform;
* Today on The Red Platform, I can complain because the weather is rainy or I can be thankful on The Green Platform that the grass is getting watered for free;
* I can feel sad on The Red Platform that I don't have more money or I can be glad on The Green Platform that my finances encourage me to plan my purchases and guide me away from waste;
* I can grumble on The Red Platform about my health or I can rejoice on The Green Platform that I am alive and that I can take exercise and get fit;
* I can lament on The Red Platform over all that my parents didn't give me, or I can feel grateful on The Green Platform that they allowed me to be born;
* Today, I can cry on The Red Platform that roses have thorns or celebrate on The Green Platform that thorns have roses;
* I can mourn my lack of friends on The Red Platform or discover new relationships on The Green Platform;
* Today, I can whine on The Red Platform because I have to go to work or I can shout for joy on The Green Platform because I have a job to do;
* Today, I can complain because I have to go to school on The Red Platform or eagerly open my mind and fill it with rich new knowledge on The Green Platform;
* Today, I can murmur dejectedly on The Red Platform because I have to do housework or I can feel honoured on The Green Platform because I have a house to work in;
* Today, stretches ahead of me, waiting to be shaped. And here I am, the sculptor who gets to do the shaping. What today will be like is up to me. I get to choose what kind of day I will have. I can shape my day.
What will you choose to do with today? When you plan your day, when you shape and sculpt your day, make sure you start on The Green Platform and build in exercise. Make sure you happen to life, that you happen to your day. Choose to have a great day on The Green Platform.
Declan will appear on The Saturday Night Show with Brendan O'Connor this Saturday and will be talking about his new book, The Green Platform.
Declan Coyle is a director of Andec Communications. His motivational techniques have been used by several All-Ireland winning teams. firstname.lastname@example.org