Switch off: how to cut screen time
Published 19/02/2014 | 02:30
* Remove the TV or computer from your child's bedroom.
* Do not allow TV watching during meals or homework.
* Do not let your child eat while watching TV or using the computer.
* Do not leave the TV on for background noise. Turn on the radio instead, or have no background noise.
* Decide which programmes to watch ahead of time, and turn off the TV when the programme is over.
* Suggest other activities, such as a family board game, puzzle or going for a walk.
* Keep a record of how much time is spent in front of a screen. Try to spend the same amount of time being active.
* Be a good role model as a parent. Decrease your own screen time to two hours a day.
* If it is hard not having the TV on, try using the sleep function so it turns off automatically.
* Challenge your family to go one week without watching TV or doing other screen-time activities. Find things to do with your time that get you moving and burning energy.