MAKING some wise food swaps can give your efforts to lose weight a boost, without too much pain involved.
• Swap from whole milk to semi-skimmed, 1pc fat or even skimmed milk.
• Swap a sugar-coated breakfast cereal for a wholegrain one such as porridge or shredded wholegrain wheat cereal with no added sugar.
• Swap a sprinkle of sugar on your breakfast cereal for a topping of fresh or dried fruit, which counts towards one of your five a day.
• Swap full-fat Greek yogurt for lower-fat or fat-free Greek yogurt or natural low-fat yogurt.
• Swap white breads, bagels and muffins for wholegrain varieties.
• Swap butter and cheese in your jacket potato for reduced fat spread and reduced salt and sugar baked beans.
• Swap a tuna melt panini for a tuna salad sandwich on wholemeal bread without mayo.
• Swap a cheddar cheese filling in your sandwich for reduced-fat hard cheese.
• Swap creamy or cheesy sauces for tomato- or vegetable-based sauces on your pasta, meat or fish dishes.
• Swap mashed potato made with butter and whole milk for mash with low-fat spread and a lower-fat milk such as semi-skimmed, 1pc fat or skimmed.
• Choose leaner cuts of meat – for example, swap streaky bacon for back bacon.
• Swap the frying pan for the grill when you're cooking.
Health & Living