Foot-sore runners in the Dublin marathon will be cared for today by a team of chartered physiotherapists who have some good advice on recovery. Blaithin Brady, who is heading the team, says:
* Keep moving after you cross the finish line.
* Walk for five to 10 minutes and then come to our marquee where we will take you through the appropriate cooldown including static stretches. This will reduce muscle soreness and kickstart recovery.
* Soak your body in a cold bath, lake or ocean within a few hours of the race to aid decreasing inflammation in the working muscles.
* Allow sufficient time for your body to rest before returning to training.
* If you sustain a minor injury, follow the PRICE Protocol – Protect, Rest, Ice, Compress and Elevate. For more serious injuries seek medical attention.