Lose the moobs: Male breast reduction on the rise as even The Rock admits going under the knife
Published 24/04/2014 | 13:28
Male breast reduction is currently the most common male body-contouring procedure in Ireland.
The procedure, similar to liposuction, reduces the size of male breasts, commonly known as ‘‘moobs’’.
The surgery to reduce embarrassing enlarged breasts has become popular in Ireland according to cosmetic surgery clinic Venus Medical.
“Venus Medical has seen a significant increase in demand for the male breast reduction procedure since its introduction and we expect demand to continue to rise, particularly coming into the summer months,’’ said aesthetic procedures expert Dr Prendergast.
Gynecomastia is the procedure for male breast reduction or ‘‘moob job’’.
Celebrity wrestler and actor Dwayne Johnson, famously known as The Rock, admitted to undergoing a gynecomastia reduction in 2005.
The ex-professional wrestler said opting for the surgery was purely for aesthetic purposes.
In the UK, statistics from the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons (BAAPS) revealed that 790 men underwent the procedure in 2011.
The figure has more than doubled the number who had it five years earlier.
In 2009, it said some 581 men underwent gynaecomastia surgery in comparison to just 323 in 2008.
At Venus Medical, Dr Prendergast uses local anaesthesia and advanced VASER ultrasound technology to remove male breast tissue.
Men can return home the same day of the procedure and can go back to work within a couple of days.
The two main causes of enlarged male breasts are benign growth of glandular tissue on male breasts or the accumulation of fatty tissue.
During puberty most teenage boys will develop fatty tissue around the chest or breast area.
For about 90 per cent of males it usually subsides naturally within a year but for the remaining 10 per cent it can remain with them for the rest of their adult lives.
Neil Bulstrode, Clinical Lead for plastic surgery at London's Great Ormond Street Hospital told the BBC, ‘‘The stigma of plastic surgery is reducing.’’
‘‘There's a realisation that simple safe procedures can be done to make big improvements in parts of the body that have been significantly affected and that can make a huge improvement on how people feel about themselves, their confidence, and therefore what they can achieve.’’
In the US, Dr. Robert Cattani of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery told the New York Daily News in 2010 that he has noticed a surge in the number of surgery patients.
"In the last five years, I personally have done 200 to 300 male breast reductions per year.
‘‘There were 18,000 male breast reductions in 2008 and it's the fourth most popular surgical procedure for men, behind nose "reshaping," eyelid surgery and liposuction,’’ he said.
Beverly Hills breast reduction surgeon Dr. Grant Stevens has said smaller breast size is a popular choice among celebrities and the general public.
Celebrities suffering from enlarged breasts include music mogul Simon Cowell and actor John Travolta.