IS your diet leading to unnecessary discomfort and bloating?
Here are some tips on how to help your digestion.
• Eat more fibre in the form of wholemeal bread, brown rice, fruit and veg, beans and oats.
• Drink plenty of fluids – a good way to make sure you are getting enough fluids is to drink a glass of water with every meal. Avoid caffeinated drinks as they can cause indigestion.
• Fatty foods, like chips, burgers and fried foods, are harder to digest and can cause stomach pain and heartburn.
• Many people love spicy food but it can cause a tummy upset.
It's not just scorching hot foods like chillies that trigger heartburn. Mild but flavourful foods like garlic and onion can also bring it on.
• Some people find that particular foods cause problems. Acidic foods such as tomatoes, citrus fruits, salad dressings and fizzy drinks can trigger indigestion. n Wheat and onions may cause irritable bowel syndrome and if you cannot digest lactose (the sugar in milk) you'll develop wind and diarrhoea after drinking milk or eating dairy products, including cream, cheese, yoghurt and chocolate.