It's easy to spot bad breath in others but you can never be quite so sure about your own.
If you think you might have bad breath, there's a simple test you can do. Lick the inside of your wrist and sniff.
Tips for fresh breath include:
• Brush your teeth twice a day.
• Brush or scrape your tongue.
• Floss your teeth. Brushing alone only cleans up to about 60pc of the surface of your teeth.
• Use an antibacterial mouthwash. The best time to use mouthwash is just before bedtime. There are many different types of mouthwash. Most are alcohol-based. Alcohol can dry out or irritate your mouth, so if you have problems, switch to an alcohol-free brand that contains chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide.
• Use sugar-free gum. The chewing stimulates saliva and prevents your mouth from drying out. A dry mouth can lead to bad breath.
• Have a check-up with your dentist at least once a year.
• Quit smoking. If you smoke, your breath is likely to smell of stale smoke.