independent

Thursday 17 April 2014

Former CRC boss Conlan defends his €158,000 in extra payments at Mater

PICTURED AT THE OFFICIAL OPENING OF THE FIRST PERMANENT NEW BUILDINGS ON THE SITE OF THE MATER AND CHILDRENS HOSPITAL CAMPUS DEVELOPMENT INCLUDING A HOSTEL FOR OUT PATIENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES AND A STATE OF THE ART CENTRE FOR NURSE EDUCATION YESTERDAY AT THE MATER HOSPITAL WAS FROM LEFT, DES LE MONT CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF GOVERNORS OF THE MATER AND CHILDRENS UNIVERSITY HOSPITALS, SISTER HELENA O DONOGHUE CHAIRPERSON OF THE MATER CHILDRENS HOSPITAL DEVELOPMENT COMPANY LTD AND BRIAN CONLAN CEO OF THE MATER HOSPITAL..
PIC STEVE HUMPHREYS.
1ST SEPTEMBER 2006.
Brian Conlan

PAYMENTS totalling more than €158,000 made to former CRC boss Brian Conlan by the Mater Hospital were a "no-brainer", his spokesperson has claimed.

Mr Conlan has appointed a PR representative in the wake of the controversy over 'top-ups' at the Central Remedial Clinic where he was chief executive until last week.

It has now emerged that he previously received significant additional payments while he was in charge of the Mater Hospital

However, the spokesperson has described questions about these payments as "a bit farcical at this stage".

EXTRA

He said the money related to extra duties Mr Conlan had while the hospital underwent redevelopment.

"He was responsible for a couple of hundred million euro campus development and that wasn't part of his contract. He had to put in a lot more work and he got paid additional money for that.

"It's a no-brainer," the spokesperson said.

Details of Mr Conlan's pay while he worked at the Mater include:

* A salary of €149,959.

* An additional €25,625 for five years while he oversaw the expansion of the hospital, coming to €128,125.

* Additional €10,000 annual payments by a company overseeing the building of a new car park at the hospital, coming to €30,000 between 2010 and 2012.

Mr Conlan's spokesperson compared the situation to that of a "brickie" who is "asked to build a six-foot wall and then he's asked to put two foot on top of it".

Mr Conlan resigned from his job as chief executive of the CRC just five months after being appointed when the clinic became embroiled in controversy over salary 'top-ups' paid to some executives by the charity's fundraising arm.

He has pledged to come before the Dail's Public Accounts Committee (PAC) in the new year to face questioning by TDs on the CRC saga.

His predecessor Paul Kiely -- who has also resigned as a CRC director -- had his €106,000 salary topped up by €136,000 with funds provided by an associated charity in breach of HSE caps. Ultimately, the entire board of the CRC quit en masse last Friday after the HSE requested that they step down.

A senior HSE manager will take over the running of the clinic until a new board of governors and chief executive can be appointed.

Meanwhile, former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has said that he had no role in appointing former CRC directors with links to him -- such as Mr Kiely and former chairman Jim Nugent.

DISABILITY

The chief executive of children's disability charity the Jack and Jill Foundation, Jonathan Irwin, said he had been "appalled" to learn of the 'top-ups' paid to executives at the CRC.

"I don't want to see any political cronies because that could send the new board down the same road as the previous one," he said.

Mr Irwin said that the public should continue supporting charities, saying: "Even in the CRC, doctors and nurses on the floor are doing incredible work.

"Now that the CRC has been cleaned out, you know money will go to children," he added.

Mr Irwin also criticised the delay in the introduction of a long-awaited charities' regulator.

Irish Independent

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Top Stories

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News