A few easy steps to combat your stress
IT may be time for Ireland to follow the UK, which has declared November 7 next National Stress Awareness Day. We can still borrow some of their top stress-busting tips.
• Prioritise your day and do the important jobs first. The unimportant ones will disappear.
• Adopt a healthy lifestyle. If we eat a healthy diet and ensure we get sleep, our body is better able to cope with stress.
• Do not take on too much. Learn to be assertive so that you can say no without upsetting or offending.
• Find out what causes you stress. Take time to discover what it is and try to change your thoughts and behaviour.
• Do not be too argumentative. Look for a resolution to a dispute.
• Accept the things you can't change. Changing a difficult situation is not always possible.
• At least one break of 10-14 continuous days is recommended during the year. Also, you will perform better at work after even a short 10/15 minute break.
• If something is concerning you, talk over your problem with somebody.
• Avoid alcohol and nicotine as coping mechanisms.
Log on to www.nationalstressawarenessday.co.uk
Health & Living