independent

Thursday 17 April 2014

Dublin chef Oliver Dunne criticised for tweeting "severed" head of food critic

Chef Oliver Dunne tweeted this photo of an edited version of his restaurant's promo picture. (Photo: Twitter/Oliver Dunne)

Michelin-award winning Dublin chef Oliver Dunne has caused controversy after posting an image of himself with the "severed" head of a well-known food critic.

The picture was based on a promotional image released earlier this year for Dunne's restaurant 'The Cleaver East' showing himself holding a knife and a pig's head.

However, following a slightly critical review of his restaurant by renowned Sunday Independent restaurant critic Lucinda O'Sullivan, the chef posted a photoshopped version of the image yesterday on his Twitter account.

The pig’s head was replaced with that of Ms O’Sullivan.

Dunne shared the photo with his almost 3,000 followers, captioning it, “Lol, look what I got in the post!”

The chef has received much criticism for sharing the photo, with people describing it as “tasteless” and “unnecessary”.

“I have never met that guy Oliver Dunne, but I don’t think there is any need to post that pic [sic],” said one.

Another user wrote, “No need to get super personal about it.”

Dunne has since deleted the photo, which was sent to him by one of his suppliers yesterday, from his online profile.

The restaurant review, which upset Dunne, was published under the headline of 'Chop Chop' last Sunday in the newspaper's 'Life Magazine'.

On Monday, Dunne wrote a scathing blog about the review which he claimed was "completely inaccurate and unacceptable".

When contacted by the Irish Independent this morning, he said; "I stand by my word."

“I’ve no problem with people coming through my door and critiquing the restaurant, that’s the nature of the beast, I’ve been at this 20 years I know that."

The father-of-two admits his own blog was personal towards O’Sullivan but said he “said what [I] had to say”.

“The review didn’t make a difference, they never do in my experience,” he said.

“Business is flying, it’s beyond belief.”

The Cleaver East chef claims he doesn't  hold a grudge and that the photo on his Twitter should be taken in good humour.

He has since deleted the image - shortly after the Irish Independent contacted him.

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Top Stories

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News