Teenage girl poisoned by fumes after a disposable barbecue left in tent overnight
A teenage girl has died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning during a family camping holiday after a disposable barbecue was thought to have been left in a tent overnight.
The 14-year-old was discovered unconscious, along with her parents and brother, by a relative staying in a neighbouring tent the morning after they had all enjoyed a meal together.
A doctor staying on site tried to resuscitate her but she was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics who arrived just minutes later.
Her 11-year-old brother and parents were taken to hospital suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
A disposable barbecue was found in the tent. It is thought they had either mistakenly used it to keep the tent warm or had believed it had gone out.
Last night relatives of the family at the hospital said; ""We are devastated by this tragic accident.
"Our priority as a family is to ensure the three people in hospital get well enough to fully recover."
Yesterday Phil Wright, landlord of the Baron of Beef, the neighbouring pub which owns the campsite said it was "incredibly tragic".
"They had booked in for the weekend and came in the previous evening to watch the FA Cup final," he said.
"They were a lovely group having a lot of fun. They didn't stay to eat but had a barbecue around their tents in the evening.
"The next morning a lady from the group came running in to the pub. She was absolutely devastated but was trying to keep calm.
"She shouted 'we need an ambulance, we need an ambulance'. She said they were very ill and needed first aid. Her husband behind her said it was 'very serious'.
"It was all incredibly frantic. We got the emergency service as quickly as we could. They all came – the ambulance, the fire, the police and the air ambulance.
"The girl was the worst and they tried to resuscitate her but it was too late.
"It is just incredibly tragic." His tearful wife Debra, 43, said: "My heart goes out to the family."
The death comes just a month after a six-year-old girl died of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in a campsite in the New Forest, Hampshire.
The family, who have not been named, were among a group of around 12 who had booked into the three-quarter acre field in Bucknell, Shropshire, for the Bank Holiday weekend.
Said to be seasoned campers, they came with three large family tents which they arranged around a gazebo used for cooking and eating.
The weather was dry but close to freezing and after the meal they all retired to bed. At some point it is believed the family must have moved the disposable barbecue in their tent.
Mr Wright said: "I was told they had a disposable barbecue in their tent and that is what poisoned them.
"I can only think they brought the disposable barbecue into the tent to keep warm.
"They had one of those big tents that had bedrooms and a dining area."
"Or may be one of the children did it. From what I know they were seasoned campers and knew exactly what they were doing."
Last night the 11 year-old boy remained in intensive care in a stable condition at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.
His parents were also listed as in a stable condition.
A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said they arrived just before 10am.
"Crews arrived at the campsite to find resuscitation being carried out on a girl who was in cardiac arrest," he said.
"Ambulance crews continued resuscitation efforts in an attempt to restart the girl's heart. Sadly, despite their best efforts nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead on scene.
"A boy, believed to be 11 years old, was suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.
Crews and the doctor began oxygen therapy and, due to his serious condition, the boy was airlifted to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for emergency treatment.
"A woman and man were also given oxygen therapy by ambulance crews before being taken by land ambulance on blue lights to the same hospital for further treatment."