Revealed: The travel experience most desired by millennials for 2017
Published 17/11/2016 | 06:41
Millennials are an increasingly influential force in travel, and new research reveals exactly where they want to go next year.
The research, by youth travel operator Contiki, polled over 5,000 18-35-year-olds in a global survey dubbed 'The No Regrets List'.
Iceland's Blue Lagoon topped the list, confirming the country's meteoric rise in tourism and its status as a must-do destination for 2017.
Completing the Top 5 were the Great Pyramids of Giza, the Great Wall of China, Byron Bay in Australia, and learning how to make pizza in Italy.
The No Regrets List for 2017:
- Blue Lagoon, Iceland
- See the Great Pyramids of Giza
- Walk the Great Wall of China
- Chill out on the beach in Byron Bay
- Learn how to make pizza in Italy
- Road trip along Route 66
- Gondola ride in Venice
- Kiss at the Eiffel Tower
- Watch sea turtles lay their eggs in Costa Rica
- Picnic in the French countryside
- Party in Las Vegas
- Visit Yosemite National Park
- Watch the sun rise over Uluru
- Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef
- See the Mona Lisa
- Try all the gelato in Rome
- Explore the Grand Canyon by helicopter
- Cuddle a koala in Queensland
- Zipline through the rainforest in Costa Rica
- Ride a bike through Amsterdam
Prices at the Blue Lagoon range from €40 for entry and a silica mud mask to €195 for a luxury experience including sparkling wine and exclusive lounge access.
Contiki's survey also looked at the motivators behind travel for young people, and what type of experiences they want out of life.
Learning about new cultures was the strongest motivator to travel (56pc) for millennials and post-millenials (those born after 1995), with 96pc of those surveyed feeling that experiential travel was most important.
For more info, see contiki.com/uk/en/no-regrets-travel-list.