Is this the world's sexiest bedroom?
Smith Hotel Awards
A suite set in an ancient Roman grotto was named the world's sexiest bedroom at a London awards ceremony last night.
Chalk the Roccia Suite at Bellevue Syrene in Sorrento, Italy down for your next romantic tryst - it's the sexiest on earth, according to the Smith Hotel Awards.
Described on the hotel website as "a dream to share with a special person", the 60sqm suite features a canopy bed, a 10sqm hydrotherapy tub just a negligee-throw away, a balcony with sparkling sea views and rooms carved out of bare stone.
A stay will be like "a magical first night of marriage", the hotel purrs.
And the price? Nightly rates start from €770 in December.
The Smith Hotel Awards are run by Mr & Mrs Smith, a collection of over 1,000 boutique hotels. The full list of 2015 winners is as follows:
- Best Smith Hotel 2015: The Pig – on the Beach, UK
- Best-Dressed Hotel: Ett Hem, Sweden
- Sexiest Bedroom in the World; Roccia Suite at Bellevue Syrene, Italy
- Hottest Hotel Bar: The Zetter Townhouse, London, UK
- Best Hotel Restaurant: Oreade at Monteverdi, Italy
- Best Spa Hotel: The Nam Hai, Hoi An, Vietnam
- The Eco Award: Song Saa Private Island, Cambodia
- Best for Families: Jean-Michel Cousteau Resort, Fiji
- Best Budget Boutique Hotel: Masseria Cervarolo, Italy
- Best Hotel Pool: Amangiri, USA
- Above and Beyond: Huka Lodge, New Zealand
- Best Newcomer: The Battery San Francisco, USA
"Bellevue Syrene is built upon the ruins of a Roman villa, but there’s nothing ancient about its flamboyant interiors and attentive service," the collection says.
"Sorrento’s dazzling palette sets the tone inside: grass green, sugar-sweet pastels and, inevitably, sea blue."
More than 22,000 members of the public voted in the awards, with shortlists put to panels of expert judges including restaurant impresario Jeremy King, chef Sophie Michell, fashion consultant Yasmin Sewell and singer Jessie Ware.
Dorset's The Pig – on the Beach was named Best Smith Hotel 2015.
It edged out runners-up Halcyon House – "a bright, bold and brilliant surf-motel makeover on Australia’s east coast" – and Soneva Fushi, "a laid-back eco-chic playground of desert-island indulgence" in the Maldives.
"The boutique hotel industry is at the cutting edge of hospitality," said James Lohan, Co-founder of Mr & Mrs Smith (mrandmrssmith.com).
"That’s what we want to celebrate – the places that do things differently, where you come back with stories of chefs creating impromptu dishes tailored just for you, or where the general manager personally drives you the scenic route to the airport."