Norway - need to know
SAS (01-613 6400; flysas.ie) flies daily from Dublin to Oslo and Trondheim in the summer, with connections on to all parts of Norway through their regional airline Wideroe. A return trip Dublin-Trondheim in mid-June will cost around €240.
Once there, Wideroe offers Explore Norway tickets, unlimited flights within the Lofoten Islands starting at €316pp for two weeks.
For €455 you can get unlimited flights for the whole of Norway for two weeks.
The Rica Hotel chain has hotels in several of the main towns on the mainland or the islands. You will pay around €160 per room, per night in high season in the Rica Hotel Bodo (rica-hotels.com).
But for exploring the islands, campsites such as Hov Feriegard & Camping (0047 7607 7157; www.hov-feriegard.no) and the network of hostels (email@example.com) offer very comfortable accommodation for less than €55 per night.
For the true Lofoten experience, stay in one of the many converted fisherman's cabins (rorbu) such as those at Nusfjord (0047 7609 3020; firstname.lastname@example.org). These are comfy, cosy, very atmospheric and usually have a restaurant/shop/bar in the vicinity.
There is a wealth of information on the lofoten.info website.
Five Things to Do
- Explore the tiny fishing village of Nusfjord (www.nusfjord.no) and stay in an authentic rorbu cabin on the harbour front. Go fishing for cod, whale-watching or just wander around the mountains.
- Join a whale safari with Go Arctic (goarctic.com) or try out the sea kayaking.
- Play golf under the Midnight sun at the Lofoten Links (lofoten-golf.no) and try out the club's homely restaurant with a deck overlooking the sea. It's the only golf course inside the arctic circle.
- Go trekking along the fjords (see turistforeningen.no).
- Take a three-night trip to the Lofotens to watch the Northern Lights -- winter time only.
Specialists Fjord Travel (fjordtravel.no) offer three-night packages to Tromso that include a stay in Oslo, travel to Tromso, accommodation and activities such as dog sledding for €1,050 per person sharing in December.