Jordan - need to know
Published 30/01/2010 | 05:00
There are no direct flights between Jordan and Ireland. We flew to Amman via Heathrow with BMI (01-407 3036; flybmi.com). Inclusive fares cost from €346 economy and €1,399 business.
Package deals are available from The Travel Department (01-637 1600; thetraveldepartment.ie), with a nine-night tour including visits to Petra, The Dead Sea and Amman starting at €1,699.
We stayed at the Marriott group (tel:96265699936 for reservations in Jordan, marriott.com), where double rooms cost from €142 in Amman, €161 in Petra and €109 at the Dead Sea resort (right).
For more details, see visitjordan.com.
When to go
The best time to visit Jordan is between March and May or September and November, when temperatures are not too extreme. Avoid high summer and winter -- the latter can be exceptionally cold and sometimes snowy.
Five great things to do
- Travel back in time and see the ancient remains of Petra by candlelight.
- Catch a glimpse of everyday Jordan in the cosmopolitan capital, Amman.
- Explore Jerash, considered to be the best-preserved ancient Roman city in the Middle East, if not the world.
- Follow in the footsteps of Moses on Mount Nebo.
- Soak up the salty waters of the Dead Sea.