Holiday at sea? The world's best cruise ships have been named
Cruise Critic's Editors' Picks
Published 13/10/2016 | 01:00
Leading cruise site CruiseCritic.co.uk has announced the winners of its annual Editors' Picks Awards for 2016.
The influential cruise review site's awards are chosen by a global panel of experts, and span ocean, river and luxury cruise categories.
Thomson Cruises' TUI Discovery (above) was awarded 'Best New Ship', having launched just this June... complete with climbing wall and outdoor cinema.
Elsewhere, Royal Caribbean sailed away with three awards - 'Best for Families', 'Best Entertainment' and 'Best Suites', while Uniworld took three gongs in the river categories - 'Best River Cruise Line', 'Best for Luxury' and 'Best Dining'.
Seabourn was awarded 'Best Luxury Cruise Line' and 'Best Dining', while Celebrity took 'Best Cabins' and 'Best Shore Excursions'.
2016 Cruise Critic UK Editors' Picks Awards (Ocean):
- Best New Ship: TUI Discovery
- Best Refurbishment: Cunard QM2
- Best Dining: P&O Cruises
- Best Entertainment: Royal Caribbean International
- Best Cabins: Celebrity Cruises
- Best Suites: Royal Caribbean International
- Best Itineraries: Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines
- Best Shore Excursions: Celebrity Cruises
- Best for Adventure: Hurtigruten
- Best for Romance: Princess Cruises
- Best for Families: Royal Caribbean International
- Best Value: Celestial Cruises
- Best for Nightlife: Norwegian Cruise Line
- Best UK Departure Port: Southampton Port
- Best UK Port of Call: Liverpool Port
2016 Cruise Critic UK Editors' Picks Awards (River):
- Best River Cruise Line: Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection
- Best New River Ship: Crystal Cruises' Crystal Mozart
- Best Luxury River Cruise Line: Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection
- Best Dining: Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection
- Best Cabins: AmaWaterways
- Best Itineraries: Viking River Cruises
- Best Shore Excursions: Scenic
- Best Enrichment: Viking River Cruises
- Best for Active Cruisers: A-Rosa
- Best for Families: AmaWaterways
- Best Value: Emerald Waterways
2016 Cruise Critic UK Editors' Picks Awards (Luxury):
- Best Luxury Cruise Line: Seabourn Cruise Line
- Best New Luxury Ship: Regent Seven Seas' Regent Explorer
- Best Luxury Refurbishment: Azamara Quest/Journey
- Best Dining: Oceania Cruises
- Best Cabins: Seabourn Cruise Line
- Best Itineraries: Crystal Cruises
- Best Shore Excursions: Azamara Club Cruises
- Best Enrichment: Crystal Cruises
- Best Value: Viking Ocean Cruises
- Best Romance: Windstar Cruises
- Best Spa: Viking Ocean Cruises
"It's been a mammoth year for ocean, river and luxury cruise ship launches - many of which are the largest addition to each line's fleet," explained Cruise Critic UK editor Adam Coulter.
"The ever-increasing itinerary and ship options offered are impressive, and by sharing our combined first-hand insight and expertise, we can celebrate some of the top choices available."